Trusted Contributor

Re: How do you lose belly weight?

Eliminate bread.  Most people who do a little exercise each day feel justified in eating their favorite poor boy sandwich, hoagie, reuben....you name it they feel they've earned it.  That's why the stomach stays large. Just eliminating soda and reducing your sugar intake, is not enough.  

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Sadly, the truth is that nothing helps reduce belly fat. As you age, you will naturally have more fat, relatively speaking, around your middle. Sorry, but cutting out fizzy drinks, artificial sweeteners, eating plant based food will have NO impact whatsoever. The truth needs to be spoken. If you jiggle and that bothers you, I suggest Spanx or Yummie undergarments. 

So interesting considering my mom’s elderly friends have flat stomachs and are very thin.  How is that?

There’s no scientific evidence humans are geared to have more fat as they age.  It’s a decision we make...”It’s the Food”.

Honored Contributor

IMO - delicious foods are one of the great joys God has given us in this life. People should enjoy eating. It isn't a matter of what you eat, but how large a portion you eat. Sometimes belly fat is a side effect of necessary medication, in my case I NEED prednisone to treat my asthma but it does put on weight in my face and my belly. 

There are some people on this board who definitely and absolutely have eating disorders. It's easy to tell who they are! They have an abnormal relationship with food. 

It is very unusual for post menopausal women to not have a little gut. Or for post menopausal women to put on a few pounds. This is just what happens as we age, side effect of having had children. It can be avoided but you have to practically starve yourself.

Honored Contributor

I lost some extra few pounds after I started taking berberine. I still take it to control my once-elevated A1C and LDL. I eat too many slices of bread, but that doesn't seem to affect my weight. I do exercise quite a bit though but I think that berberine is working.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Sadly, the truth is that nothing helps reduce belly fat. As you age, you will naturally have more fat, relatively speaking, around your middle. Sorry, but cutting out fizzy drinks, artificial sweeteners, eating plant based food will have NO impact whatsoever. The truth needs to be spoken. If you jiggle and that bothers you, I suggest Spanx or Yummie undergarments. 

@Goldengate8361,

Not sure where you read and/or heard this about aging. Maybe you have "fat tissue" confused with "muscle tissue". Several major studies done on volunteers, over 50 years old, does show that "muscle tissue" DOES decrease as one ages. This is true even for those that lift weights and/or do any types of muscle resistance training.

"Fat tissue", on the other hand, I have seen no studies showing that AGE ALONE has anything to do with a person's percentage of "body fat tissue". If you have seen such studies, would you be so kind to tell me where I might find this, and see who conducted these studies.

Last year I had the most accurate way of measuring one's percentage of "body fat" done. That procedure is called The Submersion Body Composition Analysis". At that time, I was 78 years old(now 79), my "body fat" as measured was 8%. The "acceptable average"(I don't want averages, for myself I want specifics) is 20% "body fat".

Many as they age DO LESS and EAT MORE,  and unfortunately, they also eat the wrong types of food. In summary as people age:

1) They lose muscle tissue

2) They burn fewer calories

3) They eat the wrong types of food

END RESULT=====More Body Fat Tissue, and not confined to the Midsection, as a person ages. This applies to both genders.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Throughout my adult life, I've been (what most call) slender.  Admittedly I've suffered from eating disorders since I was a preteen. (they still rear their ugly heads)

Though my weight fluctuated never more than 10 pounds, around 50 I developed a small paunch.  No matter how little I ate, or how much exercise I did, it was there.  When I was about to turn 60 I decided to hire a nutritionist and personal trainer.  I dropped those pesky 10 pounds and a few more. (to the point I was scrawny) Still, no matter what I did, I only had a flat stomach if I sucked it in.  My trainer told me no amount of exercise would get rid of it.

I got rid of it thanks to a great plastic surgeon.  Seven years later, it has not returned.

Occasional Contributor

Surgically removing fat in your belly area is a common cosmetic procedure. There are two types of surgeries for removing belly fat: liposuction and a tummy tuck. Though these procedures are invasive, the recovery time is usually minimal. Dieting wasn't working for me. I really wanted to have a flat belly and so having a tummy tuck was a very easy decision for me. Two years out and Iím still super happy with the results. Thanks to filipino doctor, Dr Rino Lorenzo who did the surgery in Manila. He was really very nice and made me very comfy throughout my TT experience. I really love the new me!

Trusted Contributor

In my case, a tummy tuck! Woman LOL

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey you guys I wanted to know about this tea i have been reading about.It is called the Red Tea Detox and I would like to know if anyone have tried this tea. I'm going to try it out but wanted to know some of your feedback on this product. Here is an article i was reading about check it out and let me know what you think about it. I noticed it mentions losing belly fat fast.

-Nika-

Super Contributor

dedication and consistency!  There are no miracle pills, foods or supplements. Know your calorie requirement.  I get a bodpod assessment done periodically and it's the most highly reliable method, free on military bases. 

Eat at at a calorie deficit and exercise. 

It's not menopause, it's not moving. 

I've lost over 60 pounds, menopausal and lift heavy weights for my osteoporosis. It may not be fast but it works!  I look the best I have in 40 years. I still have more fat than I would like in my upper arms, but increased my lifting for arms. It will come off. 

instagram is full of trainers with excellent tips. Groups for all ages.