Honored Contributor

DH and I went to the pharmacy today to get our flu shots. The paperwork they give you to fill out asked for name, address, and gender at the top of the page. Gender had four choices: male, female, other, or none....and a box that said " if none, please explain".  Is it just me or is this nuts? I asked the pharmacist what qualifies as "none" and he just shook his head.....DH was dying to write a smarta## comment in the box but I took the paper away from him....😉

Esteemed Contributor

In today's gender fluid society (yes that is a term) there is a non-descript/non committal gender called X.

NYC just passed legislation that you may choose Gender X, meaning neither M or F. This follows some other locales such as CA and OR.

No dr statement nor other proof required.

Honored Contributor
Didn't see X as a choice, just "none". I think our society has left me behind...I just call myself a female....
Trusted Contributor

It’s getting complicated!

In New York City now, an adult has the right to change the gender designation on their original birth certificate.  They do not need a court order. Birth certificates are issued with a Male, Female or X allowed to be entered as a choice at time of a birth. Now the same choices are available if an adult chooses to change what was originally entered. 

My feeling is why ask why. People can identify themselves in non-binary ways, apparently. I would check the box I prefer or that I accept as relevant at the pharmacy, get vaccinated, and live in peace. What others do is nobody’s business. They shouldn’t question my choices, I don’t question theirs. 

Honored Contributor

All the gender stuff is very nice but what's it got to do with getting a flu shot?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Exactly!
Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccine paperwork

[ Edited ]

The person who plays Taylor on the show Billions identifies in real life as non-binary and uses singular they pronouns.

BILLIONS_202_1352R_SQ.jpg

I gather "Kate" would check off "none."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

All the gender stuff is very nice but what's it got to do with getting a flu shot?

possibly for research data.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It's also perhaps the case to check 'none' indicates you're choosing not to say what your gender is.

Respected Contributor

Here is what I don't get, from a logical perspective.  If people are allowed to answer "none" or "other", and that is fine, why are you even asking the question?  Obviously, you don't have to be male or female to receive the service, and the answer does not have any bearing on the type or quality of service.  So, why ask in the first place?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York