Trusted Contributor

How do you lose belly weight?

I've lost 45 pounds but not much has come off my stomach. I walk two hours a day, five days a week, don't drink alcohol, drink plenty of water, don't eat fried foods and very little dessert.   The weight has come off in every part of me except the stomach. I don't understand.   Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you lose belly weight?

Really can’t spot reduce, but....

Are you still consuming ‘fizzy’ drinks?

Or eating artificial sweetened foods/drinks?  

Are you consuming foods not helping to build your gut flora?

Beans, vegetables, leafy greens?

How much fiber do you consume?

Congrats on your 45lb! 

Honored Contributor

Yes, an overindulgence of simple carbs will put on belly weight.  One of the things I noticed when diagnosed with Diabetes, when I counted my complex carbs and gave up simple carbs (and sugar) my belly reduced.  It's easy to determine what is simple and what is complex and how much you need daily (Google).  Since I started watching my diet so closely, I've lost close to 50lbs... good luck!  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Stopped drinking, stopped diet drinks, stopped artificial sweeteners and went on Weight Watchers.  Bingo!

Honored Contributor

I agree about the artificial sweeteners and fizzy drinks, I also gave those up completely.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

@newjerseyWell done in losing all that weight! I understand your dilema. I lost weight too but still had a tummy. After reading "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD, I stopped eating wheat and my tummy and midriff slimmed down. Perhaps that might be a help to you too.

Honored Contributor

Sugar is the main culprit for belly fat

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've come across many articles regarding almonds and how they may help reduce belly fat. Just a handful each day...no more than about 10 almonds. The kind of high fiber and good fat contained in them is probably why this works so well. 

This article from the NIH is rather technical but it does back up what I'm try to say here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4330049/  - in this article "central adiposity" simply means belly fat.

Honored Contributor

@newjersey  Congragulation on the weight loss.  While you may not eliminate all of it, try working your core with workouts specifically for that area.  If you tighten up the core muscles, you can whittle off inches. Turn on some music and do the jerk, twist and other dances that you can feel in your abs for at least 15 minutes a day.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newjersey  I tried to go back and add something but couldn't get in to do it.  Another suggestion is to try Zumba.  You don't have to go to a class - just get a Zumba CD to do at home.  I know Zumba Activate has reshaped my abs, legs and actually overall body.  I do 45 minute CD daily.  I still do have a little spare tire and stomach bulge (menopausal belly fat) but lost inches in my waist.