Trusted Contributor

Re: How do you get your protein?

[ Edited ]

Today for breakfast I had Greek yogurt with strawberries, and added whey protein powder to the yogurt to up the protein.  For  dinner I had steamed salmon, steamed vegetables .   On days I just have salad for dinner, I will add feta cheese, raw seeds and nuts. 

I steam Quiona twice a week and eat with vegetables

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I eat a normal healthy diet with beans and peanuts and dairy products,eggs, and cheese and yogurt. Why can't you just eat your protein in a normal way instead of using supplements?

This!  In its entirety.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am trying to gain weight so have Vega One ( vegetable based protein) shakes with almond milk sometime in the morning. This in addition to eating egg white  or Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and flax.  I have some type of protein with every meal.  Even if it is just a few bites of the protein. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I follow a type of Paleo diet (before there was a Paleo diet) which should really be called a Dr. Atkins / Doug Kaufmann (Know The Cause) diet (or maybe even a Pritkin diet, I don't remember it's exact makeup). -- Basically I eat very few carbs outside of a huge variety of color-of-the-rainbow veggies and a small amount of fruit.

My morning protein is three scrambled eggs cooked on low heat (so as not to damage the phosphatidyl choline in the egg yolks). I buy organic eggs which come free range chickens who eat whatever is in the pasture and whose food source is not supplemented with grains. These types of eggs are naturally high in the good Omega-3 fats unlike the traditional store bought eggs which are high in problematic Omega-6 fats. -- Protein content is around 21 grams. 

My afternoon protein is some nuts. I'm guessing 5-10 grams protein. 

My evening protein is 4oz. of hamburger from organic, grass fed cows. Again good Omega-3 profile versus the store bought standard hamburger which is high in Omega-6. -- Protein content 22-28 grams.

In the morniing I use my Vitamix to make 32oz of green veggie smoothie (small amount of green apple and pineapple added) and I drink this throughout the day. I also Have a veggie salad whenever possible for lunch and supper. 

My total cholesterol is under 140, evenly split between HDL (healthy) and LDL (lousy). 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't count grams but I do aim to get quite a bit especially on gym days. My go tos are PB, eggs, yogurt, cheese and almond milk.  And I am usually eating chicken or sometimes meat a few times a week.   I also like nuts especially pistachios as a snack.  

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Minimum 75 grams.........from yogurt, eggs, and fish

Same with me.  I get mine from turkey breast, fish, egg whites, chicken breast fat free, plain greek yogurt.  I eat a lot of lean protein.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

I am trying to gain weight so have Vega One ( vegetable based protein) shakes with almond milk sometime in the morning. This in addition to eating egg white  or Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and flax.  I have some type of protein with every meal.  Even if it is just a few bites of the protein. 

If you are trying to gain weight, I'd recommend eating the whole egg and not just egg whtie.  

The yolks have the fat and will help more with weight gain.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"