Regular Contributor

How did you get diagnosed with asthma?

Asthma suffers please share your asthma symptoms. My daughter has allergies and has recently started having tightness in her chest . Lasts for days but intensity changes. Yesterday it rained and was extremely humid . She sleeps under a ceiling fan. Has been on Cingulair for over a year. She has no coughing or wheezing. Her right ear has been closing. She can't get an appt with an allergist for a month but in the meantime will see her primary care .
Contributor

Re: How did you get diagnosed with asthma?

I went to my family doctor because I just couldn't seem to catch my breath.  It was a very strange feeling.  I hope your daughter gets some relief through an inhaler until she can see an allergist.

Respected Contributor

I was wheezing after a bout of the flu in my forties. The doctor remarked on it. Previously, I'd had an attack at a restaurant that had some strong floor cleaner just used. Couldn't breathe or talk. When I ran out, I was better so didn't think to go see a doctor. As a kid, I'd fall over when running in gym. I was diagnosed as "lazy and weak" but it was exercise-induced asthma. Both my mom and grandmother have it, but no one thought to see why I was frequently out of breath. 

Honored Contributor

My husband and both adult daughters have asthma, and they cough a lot due to the irritation in their lungs. There is also difficulty breathing and shortness of breath; wheezing is also evident. My husband's asthma and COPD is due to being a smoker for 50 years, and having worked in the coal mines. My oldest daughters asthma is due to chronic allergies, and my youngest daughters asthma is a result of damage from swine flu.
Regular Contributor

@ Re: How did you get diagnosed with asthma?

@ misscecille or any other asthma sufferers....... Ever experience tightness in chest ? My daughter did say it feels like not getting enough air in her lungs and she feels strange.
Contributor

Re: @ Re: How did you get diagnosed with asthma?

Yes, I did feel tightness in my chest.  I'm on advair twice a day 500/50, singulair, and have a proventil inhaler as needed.  I hope your daughter gets things taken care of because asthma is a very scary thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

There are many breathing and lung tests that can be done to diagnose asthma. Lost track of the many I had ovrr several decades. Some looking for a possible problem and others for measuring my fitness levels.

Some were done on  treadmill while running and measuring my lung functions and Max Vo2 levels which measure your bodies ability to take in oxygen and expell carbon dioxide. It was suspected i may have "Exercise Induced Asthma". They had me use an inhaler for a month and nothing changed.

Some test were done by a Pulmonologist and others by a Cardiologist. Asthma testing were all done/ordered by a Pulmonologist, except ones that were done for fitness studies for Exercise Physiologist.

Hope all turns out well.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I was diagnosed as a child. My asthma greatly improved as an adult but I was told it would surface again as a senior citizen and it has. For me I occasionally get wheezing but more generally have bronchospasm. This is an extreme bout of coughing, and inability to catch a breath.A horrible feeling!!! I have inhalers and an epi pen. Inhalers have been a great relief for people with asthma. I also still use my cool mist machine - that was all that was available for many years.Perhaps she needs to sleep with a humidifier or a cool mist or one of those air cleaners. 

I also find a few other things helpful - new pillows about every 6 months- cover immediately with a plastic pillow cover. Get a new mattress and cover it with a plastic mattress cover.If there are rugs in the bedroom - or actually the house - get rid of them.Replace fabric furniture with leather.Get in the habit of changing the sheets on your bed 2x a week. Also wash blankets and bedspreads at least once a month.Dust her bedroom daily.Wash your clothing every time you wear it - pollen and other allergens get all over your clothes. Shower before bed every night. keep your closet doors tight shut or hang clothes in plastic clothes bags. Some of this may seem extreme but when you have severe asthma this becomes your life. When I was a kid we had the plastic covered furniture - not to keep the furniture clean but to so my Mom could wipe it down and keep allergens away from me.We had all linoleum floors and she mopped them every day.My Dad had to keep the car immaculately clean.Thank goodness as I started into my teen years my asthma started to subside.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had Bronchial Spasms since I was 19 years old. Not a good feeling when It seems like your lungs won't get enough oxygen. I learned it had more to do with a mental state as opposed to succumbing to a lack of sufficient oxygen, in my personal case.

Seldom ecperienced it while running/ice skating or any form of cardio exercise. Never showed up during a 

Running Treadmill Stress Test, and while hooked to Pulmonary Cart/Helmet/Nose Clip and Mouth breathing hose. This of course included the BP Cuff/Chest EKG and Oximeter.

I still experience these spasms, but I don't let them make me think I am going die from lack of oxygen, because I know better from all my testings, and having mh own personal Oximeter to check my Oxygen Saturation doesn't hurt either.

Don't know anyone diagnosed with these spasms, but I know what worked/works for me for over 57 years now.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

John, it sounds like your broncospasms were a type of anxiety reaction. Mine are actual allergies to things like dust, mold, perfumes, smoke,mites.

If they use incense in church I have to get up and walk out. I have left many a wedding and funeral in the middle.