Trusted Contributor

How do you get your protein?

Hi All,

How do you get your healthy protein, and how much (or how many grams) do you aim to get a day?

I am trying to get in at least 60 grams a day.  I find this somewhat difficult on work days, as I have trouble eating breakfast, and sometimes am not able to stop for lunch and just get a shake.  Weekends are easier to plan meals.

TIA

Do the math.
Occasional Contributor

Re: How do you get your protein?

I drink a green smoothie for breakfast almost everyday. I use greek yogurt, which is higher is protein than regular and whey protein, the one I use has about 25g of protein per scoop. I start with almond milk and add greens such as baby kale, spinach, or chard, blend together. Then I add my yogurt, whey protein, flaxseeds, and whatever combo of frozen fruit, such as strawberry/banana; mango/pineapple; mixed berries. Blend and enjoy. You can also make them at night for in the morning.

Honored Contributor

I add a premier protein shake to my diet.  It has 30 grams of protein.  I get vanilla and throw either a handful of strawberries or half a banana in the blender.

Honored Contributor

I eat a normal healthy diet with beans and peanuts and dairy products,eggs, and cheese and yogurt. Why can't you just eat your protein in a normal way instead of using supplements?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH said  To tell you to drink beer and eat peanuts

Trusted Contributor

Homemade peanut butter and yogurt. Beans, quinoa and occasional eggs.

Honored Contributor

Minimum 75 grams.........from yogurt, eggs, and fish

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Beans and Greens!   Even though I'm active, I don't 'count' grams of protein.  More importantly, I'll count grams of fat, if anything.  

Don't understand the fixation Americans have with protein.....weird.  

Honored Contributor

Peanut butter, Greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, eggs, meat, protein bars.  You have to be careful about protein bars though.  Many of them are sweetened with sucralose, for one thing, but many claim to be high protein and then only have something like 8-10 grams  There are 20 gram bars out there like Pure Protein and Quest.  I like Quest bars as they have a few that are not sweetened with sucralose.  The Pure Protein bars, unfortunately, do have sucralose in them.

You can boil a bunch of eggs on the weekend and have them ready to take and eat in the car or quickly at your desk.  You can do the same thing with a good protein bar, string cheese, cup of yogurt, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, I am coming back and reading all the replies!

Do the math.