Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of vitamin B12. Yes please!!

Isn't the nutritional yeast fortified with Vitamin B12?   I don't think any plant can have Vitamin B12 naturally...unless you ate a bug that was on it.

You are right the yeast is fortified with B12.  Substantial amounts of it are not naturally occurring.  So might as well take a pill, unless someone just loves the taste of it.  I read that taking a supplement is much more effective for B12 deficiency than eating the yeast.  I believe the source is soil bacteria for the yeast fortification.  Other than that it's only found in animal products in significant quantities. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How Many Vitamins

[ Edited ]

@Pecky 

Vitamins per'se? Supplementary, that would be 4000IU  of Vitamin D. Blood reading showed deficiency when I was in hospital with Cellulitis for 6+ days. My nephew-in-law(MD), at that time, advised me to do so. I do not take any other Supplements.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Reever 

No .... nothing.  And .... I don't believe in self-medicating.

Short story:  One of my aunts was a fan of supplements .... ended up with causing serious issues with body chemistry.  Not a pretty picture.

Honored Contributor

Only when my bloodwork shows I am low in something which is not very often.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of vitamin B12. Yes please!!

Isn't the nutritional yeast fortified with Vitamin B12?   I don't think any plant can have Vitamin B12 naturally...unless you ate a bug that was on it.

You are right the yeast is fortified with B12.  Substantial amounts of it are not naturally occurring.  So might as well take a pill, unless someone just loves the taste of it.  I read that taking a supplement is much more effective for B12 deficiency than eating the yeast.  I believe the source is soil bacteria for the yeast fortification.  Other than that it's only found in animal products in significant quantities. 

Vitamin B12  comes from bacteria. The process is called microbial fermentation. Metabolic and bacteria strain engineering is done to optimize production. It's then added to different foods and labeled as 'fortified'.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5282855/ 

I actually like the taste of nutritional yeast. That is what helped me quit eating cheese. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I actually like the taste of nutritional yeast. That is what helped me quit eating cheese. 

In that case I should try it as I am a certified cheese-a-holic!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

I was so addicted to cheese, too! After I stopped eating it then my BP and LDL both started to come down. I would buy blocks of Jack...the kind seasoned with peppers...and chow down on chunks of it...LOL! After I quit cheese, I lost some weight, too! I still miss it a lot but I just can't go back to having high BP and cholesterol problems. Woman Sad

Try it! You might like it! Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just counted the other day out of curiosity, 32 individual capsules/tablets/gel caps. But I've been supplementing for decades. I always felt it was kind of like insurance.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

None.

My previous PCP was a nutritionist before she went to medical school and she said all I would be doing would be manufacturing expensive pee. My current PCP supports that was well, I did try various different types of tumeric for the inflammatory aches and pains from training, but the digestive issues that I encountered far outweighed the minimal benefit received. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot imagine pumping my body full of all this stuff.  I have heard hosts say they are taking 75+ plus pills a day.  That cannot possibly be good for them.  On the advice of my doctor, I take a cranberry supplement because I have chronic UTI issues.

As someone who routinely has to have an ultrasound of my liver because of cysts, the thought of the liver having to process all those vitamins and supplements makes me shake my head.