Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of vitamin B12. Yes please!!

Isn't the nutritional yeast fortified with Vitamin B12?   I don't think any plant can have Vitamin B12 naturally...unless you ate a bug that was on it.

You are right the yeast is fortified with B12.  Substantial amounts of it are not naturally occurring.  So might as well take a pill, unless someone just loves the taste of it.  I read that taking a supplement is much more effective for B12 deficiency than eating the yeast.  I believe the source is soil bacteria for the yeast fortification.  Other than that it's only found in animal products in significant quantities. 

Vitamin B12  comes from bacteria. The process is called microbial fermentation. Metabolic and bacteria strain engineering is done to optimize production. It's then added to different foods and labeled as 'fortified'.

B12 is not made or 'found in' plants nor animals. 

That same B12 supplementation we find in the drugstore or

in fortified foods is the exact same B12 given to animals

in their feed.  That's how animals provide a source of B12.

We give it to them, then they give it to us.  
A pill & fortified food just eliminates the 'middleman'.

Trusted Contributor

I drink Carnation Breakfast Essentials mixed with milk on average 4 to 5 times a week.  Once in a while I'll skip on it for a few weeks.  I don't have it for breakfast as milk makes me feel sleepy.  So I usually do it before I go to bed.  They even have a new one out with probiotics, which I have not tried.

I know it has sugar in it, but I can't drink plain milk. CBE_Powder.jpg

Honored Contributor

I would be a size 2 if I didn't each cheese.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Ugh - too many. Some days I get fed up and don't take any.  I take about 12.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: How Many Vitamins

[ Edited ]

I take and RX vit D once a week, it is 50,000 units and get a B12 shot once a month. Daily I take vit D3 ,and a magnesium pill

Like @RedTop  my Dr did lab testing ,and found I was very low in these things. I didn't just take them on my own

As we age not ,everyone absorbs things ,as good as they did when they were younger. Medicines can stop the absorption of certain things our body needs

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of vitamin B12. Yes please!!

Isn't the nutritional yeast fortified with Vitamin B12?   I don't think any plant can have Vitamin B12 naturally...unless you ate a bug that was on it.

You are right the yeast is fortified with B12.  Substantial amounts of it are not naturally occurring.  So might as well take a pill, unless someone just loves the taste of it.  I read that taking a supplement is much more effective for B12 deficiency than eating the yeast.  I believe the source is soil bacteria for the yeast fortification.  Other than that it's only found in animal products in significant quantities. 

Vitamin B12  comes from bacteria. The process is called microbial fermentation. Metabolic and bacteria strain engineering is done to optimize production. It's then added to different foods and labeled as 'fortified'.

B12 is not made or 'found in' plants nor animals. 

That same B12 supplementation we find in the drugstore or

in fortified foods is the exact same B12 given to animals

in their feed.  That's how animals provide a source of B12.

We give it to them, then they give it to us.  
A pill & fortified food just eliminates the 'middleman'.

Animals are a natural source of B12.  How else could wild game and fish have B12, their diets are not "fortified".  How did humans survive so long if they did not have a natural source----animals.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Animals are a natural source of B12.  How else could wild game and fish have B12, their diets are not "fortified".  How did humans survive so long if they did not have a natural source----animals.

Of course B12 is found out in the wild😆

That's the whole underlying thought with the supplement discussion.

I said we don't need supplements...we can get it through a 

correct diet.  If one is living like Annie Oakley or Wilma Flintstone,

living in a cave with nothing but you & the sky, eat all the fish & game

you catch.

Of course, 'getting B12' would prob be the least of your worries...

but pioneers or pre-historic man like this would be getting their B12

from their more reliable sources of food from...guess?

Fruits, vegetables & starches. 💚🌿

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Of course B12 is found out in the wild😆

That's the whole underlying thought with the supplement discussion.

I said we don't need supplements...we can get it through a 

correct diet.  If one is living like Annie Oakley or Wilma Flintstone,

living in a cave with nothing but you & the sky, eat all the fish & game

you catch.

Of course, 'getting B12' would prob be the least of your worries...

but pioneers or pre-historic man like this would be getting their B12

from their more reliable sources of food from...guess?

Fruits, vegetables & starches. 💚🌿

There are no sources of B12 in fruit, vegetables & starches.  Humans require B12 to live.  Thus humans have eaten animal products to get B12 in their diet and thus survive. 

If you CHOOSE to eliminate a whole group from your diet and choose to supplement with an artificial alternative (supplements or fortified foods) so be it. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: How Many Vitamins

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Wild game, for example deer and elk, are ruminants. They have the bacteria which produces VB12 naturally in the gut. It's called fermentation in the gut...an evolutionary marvel. In domesticated ruminants (cattle), VB12 supplementation is given to replace what has been destroyed by antibiotics which has killed off the bacteria which make the vitamin.

Fish get their VB12 from plankton. Plankton consume the bacteria which make the VB12 and then once eaten by fish then bigger fish eat the little fish. The vitamin moves up the food chain that way in animals which live in water.

Ultimately all VB12 comes from bacteria. No animal or plant can have or make it on their own without bacteria or supplementation.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  Cows are made to eat a plant based diet.   People are not.