Super Contributor

Hot flashes after Menopause??

i'm at least four or five years past menopause and i'm still having hot flashes. is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone have any natural suggestions for it? my endocrinologist had me on hormone patches, but they hardly worked and i did not feel comfortable being on artificial hormones. I stopped them after about a year. 
thanks in advance for any help!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hot flashes after Menopause??

[ Edited ]

@Justholdingon  When I first started menopause I had terrible nightsweats .I was told to try standardized Black Cohosh.I bought it in GNC but any drugstore or amazon would have it. Within a couple of days my nightsweats were gone.A friend of mine had both nightsweats & hot flashes & it worked for her too.

I know how uncomfortable it can get. Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

YES....... still having hot flashes and night sweats.

it is not comfortable, but i just "deal with it."

dont want to take any hormones.

i am convinced i will ALWAYS be hot.....dont even have a need for a heavy winter coat anymore. i will be 58 in august.

now, my mother is always cold.....i told her that i HOPE to be like her when i am her age. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I mentioned in another menopause thread, I'm in peri. And Amberen has completely gotten rid of my hot flashes and night sweats. About almost a month ago they started coming back and I'm back on Amberen and they have been gone for about two weeks.

I couldn't sleep properly and now I can. That is so crucial for my wellbeing in every area of my life.

You take it for 90 days. And the hot flashes go away during that time, but you keep taking it until the 90 days are over. Then you go off it. If and when symptoms start up again, you do another 90 days. Works like a charm.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

My hot flashes continued for another 15 years!!  I thought they'd never end!  But they finally stopped.  I just suffered through them as my doctor didn't recommend anything for me.

Using 100% cotton bedding (sheets, blankets, quilts), wearing 100% cotton light-weight nightgowns year-round, and running a fan all night helped with the night sweats.

Good luck!  They will end, sooner or later....

Super Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I mentioned in another menopause thread, I'm in peri. And Amberen has completely gotten rid of my hot flashes and night sweats. About almost a month ago they started coming back and I'm back on Amberen and they have been gone for about two weeks.

I couldn't sleep properly and now I can. That is so crucial for my wellbeing in every area of my life.

You take it for 90 days. And the hot flashes go away during that time, but you keep taking it until the 90 days are over. Then you go off it. If and when symptoms start up again, you do another 90 days. Works like a charm.

Thank you for this...I was wondering about that product as I keep seeing coupons for it. Can't take these hot flashes and tossing and turning at night anymore!

Esteemed Contributor

I went though menopause when I was 45 & DH 50 (recovering from a stroke) That was 15 years ago.  I rarely have ever had hot flashes even back then

even now only rare & only during extreme stress  that I have hot flashes.

My GYN back then said she didn't do hormone replacement therapy either, applauded my decision   I have not reconsidered yet

@Justholdingon  I hope you find what works best for you

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

YES....... still having hot flashes and night sweats.

it is not comfortable, but i just "deal with it."

dont want to take any hormones.

i am convinced i will ALWAYS be hot.....dont even have a need for a heavy winter coat anymore. i will be 58 in august.

now, my mother is always cold.....i told her that i HOPE to be like her when i am her age. Smiley Wink

I'm 79 yr young and never had hot flashes or night sweats.

Respected Contributor

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Justholdingon wrote:

i'm at least four or five years past menopause and i'm still having hot flashes. is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone have any natural suggestions for it? my endocrinologist had me on hormone patches, but they hardly worked and i did not feel comfortable being on artificial hormones. I stopped them after about a year. 
thanks in advance for any help!!

I went through menopause cold turkey (no HRT) because I thought the HRT had a part in promoting breast cancer. I found this great book, The Natural Remedy Book for Women by Diane Stein. There is a section on Menopause ways to deal with various side affects like hot flashes. The book recommends vitamin E, B-complex, vitamin C, in addition to other treatments. This book saved me and I would recommend it to anyone. Also, and you may already know this, but if you eat meat or dairy, for example, they will give you hat flashes because of the animal estrogen. There are other foods that will give you hot flashes as well, like chocolate, so you may want to adjust your diet to include more vegetables. I read that in Japan the woman do not go through menopause with all the side affects due to their diet. Hope this helps.Smiley Happy