Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Growing wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Had xrays and found severe OA in my left hip.  So I am a good canidate for replacement surgery.  I will wait till the covid thing dies down.  I am not in terrible pain so I don;t mind waiting...About how long does it take to recover?  I am in good shape otherwise...

I am concerned that you only had Xrays. I have much OA and several joint problems and no orthopedic surgeon will diagnose just on Xrays in my experience. They "should" do an MRI to know exactly. I just had shoulder surgury for a tendon tear and OA issues and the surgeon was firstly very conservative in treatment and secondly wanted an MRI. I also had a CT and ultrasound early with the first sports orthopedist who did the shots, etc. and then sent me to the surgeon after 3 months with his conservative care. I am not a doctor, of course, but consider reading the online reviews on your surgeon and thinking this through. You certainly may need the hip replacement. I went to a quack foot orthopedist who only did Xrays and misdiagnosed my issue. Went for a second opinion and the second orthopedist was so skilled and asked to do an MRI to confirm what he thought. First one said just OA and cartilage damage, second one said cyst in joint and good enough cartilage and the MRI confirmed the second guy. 

Hips are different.  X-rays will show worn away cartilage at the joint, and bone on bone is excruciating.  The hips carry the body's weight.  

Respected Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@Growing wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Had xrays and found severe OA in my left hip.  So I am a good canidate for replacement surgery.  I will wait till the covid thing dies down.  I am not in terrible pain so I don;t mind waiting...About how long does it take to recover?  I am in good shape otherwise...

I am concerned that you only had Xrays. I have much OA and several joint problems and no orthopedic surgeon will diagnose just on Xrays in my experience. They "should" do an MRI to know exactly. I just had shoulder surgury for a tendon tear and OA issues and the surgeon was firstly very conservative in treatment and secondly wanted an MRI. I also had a CT and ultrasound early with the first sports orthopedist who did the shots, etc. and then sent me to the surgeon after 3 months with his conservative care. I am not a doctor, of course, but consider reading the online reviews on your surgeon and thinking this through. You certainly may need the hip replacement. I went to a quack foot orthopedist who only did Xrays and misdiagnosed my issue. Went for a second opinion and the second orthopedist was so skilled and asked to do an MRI to confirm what he thought. First one said just OA and cartilage damage, second one said cyst in joint and good enough cartilage and the MRI confirmed the second guy. 

Hips are different.  X-rays will show worn away cartilage at the joint, and bone on bone is excruciating.  The hips carry the body's weight.  

If you saw my films,  they clearly show worn away cartilage and half of my dome is bone on bone.  No MRI necessary when this much deteriation has taken place. MRI is more suitable to detect soft tissue issues when they do not yet show up on regular xrays.