Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Justice4all   I had a hip replacement, but no radiation.

Contributor

My mother had her hip replaced a few months ago...at age 89!  She has a few health issues but good heart, lungs.  She did very well.  Overnight in hospital and home the next day.  I was her nurse...ha, ha.  There is some pain initially but it is manageable with meds.  She is so glad she had it done.  She was steps away from a wheelchair with her arthritic hip.  As someone else said...have the anterior method of surgery done unless there is a medical reason why it can't be done that way.  I'd get a second opinion to be sure that the reason you couldn't have the anterior approach is a valid medical one...not just because your surgeon "doesn't do that method".   So much easier the anterior way.  (It's easier on the patient but a more difficult procedure for the surgeon...so not all do that method.).  Best wishes in getting that new hip!

Respected Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement

[ Edited ]

@Mapshopper wrote:

My mother had her hip replaced a few months ago...at age 89!  She has a few health issues but good heart, lungs.  She did very well.  Overnight in hospital and home the next day.  I was her nurse...ha, ha.  There is some pain initially but it is manageable with meds.  She is so glad she had it done.  She was steps away from a wheelchair with her arthritic hip.  As someone else said...have the anterior method of surgery done unless there is a medical reason why it can't be done that way.  I'd get a second opinion to be sure that the reason you couldn't have the anterior approach is a valid medical one...not just because your surgeon "doesn't do that method".   So much easier the anterior way.  (It's easier on the patient but a more difficult procedure for the surgeon...so not all do that method.).  Best wishes in getting that new hip!

@Mapshopper , I had posterior on two hips at the same time and had no pain-threw away the pain killers. Couldn't have been easier! I am very happy that your mother at age 89 is doing so well!  

Respected Contributor

What does radiation have to do with a hip replacement?  

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl  Anterior hip replacement is fluoroscopically guided.  

Respected Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@bargainsgirl  Anterior hip replacement is fluoroscopically guided.  

I just checked with my surgeon today.  He has done both types of procedures but prefers posterior.  Pros and cons to both.  I really don't want more radiation then necessary. ( BC surivor).  

I hope I can get back to my normal exercise (pliates, walking and Esmonde-White) when I am healed.  

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

Most important is a great surgeon and hospital.  Bonesmartdotorg is a good place for information and I loved reading the forum with before and after experiences!

Esteemed Contributor

I know of someone who has been having problems with her hip. She is in a lot of pain and needs something done. Doctors have refused to replace her hip, saying that she is too young. I think she's in her 40's, maybe 50 but not much older. 

I didn't realize that there was an age limit to hip replacements. If this woman is in pain and nothing else is working, why wouldn't they go ahead with the surgery? It seems that healing time would be easier at a younger age. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw 

Hip replacements are better now, and therefore last longer.  Younger people are getting them when necessary.  Of course, they must be done in the best hospitals with the best, most experienced surgeons who have done thousands of operations, especially with the young. If there are effective treatments short of replacement, the surgeon will try them first. But if replacement is the only solution, it can free a person from pain for decades.

Valued Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Had xrays and found severe OA in my left hip.  So I am a good canidate for replacement surgery.  I will wait till the covid thing dies down.  I am not in terrible pain so I don;t mind waiting...About how long does it take to recover?  I am in good shape otherwise...

I am concerned that you only had Xrays. I have much OA and several joint problems and no orthopedic surgeon will diagnose just on Xrays in my experience. They "should" do an MRI to know exactly. I just had shoulder surgury for a tendon tear and OA issues and the surgeon was firstly very conservative in treatment and secondly wanted an MRI. I also had a CT and ultrasound early with the first sports orthopedist who did the shots, etc. and then sent me to the surgeon after 3 months with his conservative care. I am not a doctor, of course, but consider reading the online reviews on your surgeon and thinking this through. You certainly may need the hip replacement. I went to a quack foot orthopedist who only did Xrays and misdiagnosed my issue. Went for a second opinion and the second orthopedist was so skilled and asked to do an MRI to confirm what he thought. First one said just OA and cartilage damage, second one said cyst in joint and good enough cartilage and the MRI confirmed the second guy.