Super Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement...Post-OpTips...

1) Depending on how mobile the rest of your body and health  is, you may want a bedside commode for the first few days.    You don't want to rush to the bathroom when needed so it will help til you have a little more confidence and speed, especially in the middle of the night.  

2) Buy a few pair of extra large panties.  Your leg will likely be swollen and of course you will have stitches.   You will just be more comfy with the extra size in the panties, especially the leg opening.    You will use them for several weeks til the swelling goes down and until the scar is well on its way toward healing.    You will also want loose fitting comfy pants as others have mentioned. 

3) I agree a raised toilet seat and a chair for the bath are really pretty essential and help with your independence.   Once again, depending on your mobility, your husband may indeed have to help with your wiping for a couple of weeks....sorry but that's the only way I know to put it.    

4) You don't have to live in fear of raising your leg....several of your exercises will do just that.    The issue is not lifting past a certain angle which they will show you.     They will make sure you know how to safely get yourself in and out of the shower before they discharge you.    If they don't, make sure you request that they do, 

5) Be faithful to your precautions but also to the exercises.   The success of your surgery is pretty much solely dependent on how well you do these two things.  Push yourself even when it hurts like $&#@, but do it properly!   Also remember to excercise your other leg both before and after surgery.  You will be using it help you so keep it strong and as mobile as possible.

6)  You  may want to set yourself up a basket to keep close by with some books, magazines, crochet, anything you would like to do while you are on the mend.   This might help you from driving hubby crazy bringing you things.   By the same token you may want to stock your kitchen so the both of you can have things easily available the first few days after you come home. This will help lighten the load and stress for both,of you.   Eat things you love the first few days.  This is not the time to go on a diet or try to turn over a new leaf.   That can come later! 

7). You will do great.  It is true, the hip pain is gone immediately.    But you will have to suffer through the surgery pain, but that's a whole different kind of pain than you have now.    That pain will go away.   The pain you have now never will without your much needed surgery.  You will be so glad you did it.

PS.  If you are like me, the last couple of days before surgery you will wonder how you drug your leg around as long as you have and surgery can not come fast enough.  I think once we know help is on the way, our bodies realize it doesn't  have to over compensate anymore.    You will be so ready for surgery when you realize you don't have to push yourself to do the things you are making yourself do now.   

Let us know how you are and if you have more questions along the way to full recovery! Prayers for you to have a flawless experience!  

Super Contributor

@pdlinda Thanks!    I have had posterior but often wondered how things would have  been different with anterior since it was hyped as so much better.   I imagine they have to move muscle around either way still so what you say makes sense.

So do you cross your anterior leg now or is it uncomfortable to do so?    May seem silly to ask...but I do miss crossing my legs.  

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline   Glad you had xray and scan.  I want to say that today my hip is fine and everything is in place.  I thought I would share my experience even though it was not much fun.  You will be fine.  Take care.  I hope you sleep tonight.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

I had an anterior right hip replacement on Nov 1, 2019.  Stayed 2 nights in hospital.   I used a walker for a couple of weeks at home.  My surgeon is unusual as he did not want any physical therapy other than walking.  First week he directed resting at home, no exercise, Rest! Just bed to couch to bathroom.  Thereafter, walking in increasing increments.  I did not require any home aids for toilet or shower.  Of course, no shower for a week after surgery.   I wore PJ's or joggers.  Hubby helped with socks first few weeks. I was driving in a month.

Third week I used a cane.  By the fourth week I was good to go.  I credit a lot of this to a fabulous surgeon.

I understand the recovery from anterior is much easier than posterior.  I have no limitations on hip or crossing legs.   The incision, scar is only about 2 1/2 inches which I find amazing.

I only wish I hadn't waited so long.  I was practically crippled.  I'm so happy with my new hip. YAY, and I mean YAY!

Frequent Contributor

@Memebell 

I believe the difference is in the anterior they only have to move a small muscle.  The posterior requires them to cut through muscle.  The healing time is greater for the cut through muscle.

I had no precautions for recovery with anterior.  There was a long list of precautions for posterior.

A factor in determining type is the surgeon.  Anterior is more technically difficult and requires special training for surgeon.  I had a great surgeon. I was also eligible for anterior.

No discomfort in my crossing my legs.  I can even sit Indian style (can I still say that?) comfortably. I'm very pleased.

Contributor

The anterior approach is so much easier to recuperate from. The incision does not require cutting into any muscle whereas the posterior does. The anterior incision is much much smaller making movement easier and quicker...everyone gave good equipment advice , all of it so useful upon coming home and for some days following. Here is my biggest tip...POST OP PHYSICAL THERAPY, AND DOING THE EXERCISES ON YOUR OWN  BETWEEN THERAPY SESSIONS!!!...your recovery will go so much faster! I was an operating room RN for 30 years, working many times in the joint replacement rooms and I also have had both my hips replaced...Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regular Contributor

I had my right hip replaced in 2014 and the left in 2015.  Both with the anterior approach.

Like most of the posters, I too attended a class prior to the procedure in which lots of information was provided.

I had never had any kind of surgery before so I was terrified. 

Thankfully, I didn't have any complications.  For both replacements, I stayed in the hospital overnight.  My daughter stayed with me at home for the first 5 days.  SHe woke me up in the middle of the night to give me my pain meds "stay ahead of the pain, mom".  Good advice.

I was off the narcotic meds in 4 days and taking only tylenol for pain.  I was also put on a blood thinner although I don't think they do this anymore. I had a walker and then a cane.  I was walking around my neighborhood, little by little, within a day or two. I could also climb stairs in 2 days to get to the shower.

The worst thing for me was trying to get those darned elastic socks on - to prevent blood clots.  Impossible without help!

I had PT come to the house - I did their exercises religiously.  Also had a raised toilet seat - a must in my opinion.

I actually have an appointment next month for my "5 year" checkup.

I wish you well.

Super Contributor

My Mom just had her hip replacement surgery (actually first surgery of her life at 81) on August 18th.  All of the advice you've received so far is spot on!  We found the commode chair very helpful.  It may be a bit indiscrete but it was so much easier for my Mom to get to it quickly, versus having to ambulate down a hall to the bathroom. 

The only new tip I have to share is for putting on the compression stockings.  Place a plastic grocery or produce bag on the foot, then slide the stocking on over it, once in place, pull the grocery bag out through the bottom opening in the stocking, where toes go.  If feet are clammy or sweaty, sprinkle a little powder on them to help the bag slide back off.  Hope this makes sense and helps.  We found it brilliant when putting my Mom's stockings on post-op.  Those buggers are tight and getting over the heel is the toughest part.  

Sending you best wishes for your surgery @CatsyCline 

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Super Contributor

All good tips...

A physio Therapist told me...get a thickp iece of wood...I used a large cutting board, and put it under the cusions of any chair/sofa you are sitting in.....it makes getting up soooo much easier. and sitting is less painful with a firm surface

Super Contributor

My md said the postierier takes a little longer, more muscle to cut thru...but he does not do the anterior access.....There is a real danger of cutting a nerve that supports the foot.  You could end up with permanent drop foot....