Respected Contributor

Hip Replacement...Post-OpTips...

i have hip replacement in 9 days. it came up suddenly as there was a cancellation. that person refused the mandatory COVID test

i scared DH telling him he must help me use a commode and that he has to give me sponge baths for 2 weeks.

but seriously, what am i in for? i'm just talking do i need velcro on/off pants, raised toilet seat...what??

have a dr visit to 2 days before surgery to get the pain/procedure lo-down but it may too late for the commode shopping

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement...Post-OpTips...

@CatsyCline Before my hip replacement surgery I had to attend an orientation put on by the hospital's bone replacement department - this was for the patient and partner.  We were given a notebook explaining the process.  I really recommend you do the pre surgery exercises as these help strenghten your muscles as you'll want to be able to use a walker or cane.  There was someone from occupational therapy, physical therapy and just alot of question/answers.  A raised toilet seat & grab bars for the bathroom/tub, a shower chair were all very helpful for me.  & ask questions of your doctor/his assistant if you have any.  Since you are having the surgery in 9 days there might not be time for the orientation but if there's a notebook explaining the process that's really a good thing to read, highlight any questions so you can ask ahead of time.  Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

I've had both my hips replaced.  My left in 2008 using the posterior method and the right in 2017 using the anterior method.

Do you know which method your ortho surgeon will use?  The aftercare differed for each.

The strides they have made in joint replacement post-op care is enormous.  In 2008 I stayed in the hospital for 4 days.  In 2017 I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and today I believe it's an overnight stay.

I used the raised toilet seat for both procedures.  As I recall I purchased prior to surgery from Amazon.  I also purchased a kit with different aids including a shoe horn, sock assist and a grabber (that I still use today)  to help me reach things.  The hospital provided the walker I needed for a few weeks post op.

The physical therapist came to the house both times.  The exercises were different for each type of procedure.  I did the exercises for a long time after the surgery and think it helped my recovery go smoothly.

Also, I went to a hospital orientation class in 2008; however, in 2017 I was suffering so much they got me in almost immediately so I missed the class; however, the manual they used in the class was available online so I used that for the info.  They went into extensive detail about every aspect of the procedure.  It was very helpful.

In both instances, I followed my doctor's orders and both times the recovery went quite smoothly.  My both hips are trouble free and I have benefitted greatly from the surgeries.  GOOD LUCK!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline 

I  agree with @colleena , you should go ahead and get a shower chair and a riser for the toilet.

If you have a handheld shower attachment, you can do most of the showering, with DH's help for hard to reach places.

If your shower doesn't have a handheld attachment, you can easily add one from any big box store.

A walker can really help you get around, too.

If you don't want to buy these items, you can also rent them from medical supply stores.

And yes, you'll want easy on/off apparel, I would wear a nightgown/caftan/robe. etc. rather than pants, because it takes a lot of movement of your hips to put any kind of pants on.

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline   Did you have a CT scan or MRI scan that indicates you need a hip replacement?   I had a hip replacement.  NEVER lift your leg up because you will dislocate your hip and the pain is unbearable.  You definitely need a temporary toilet set lift and don't buy a cheap one.  If you want to take showers you need to get the chair that you can sit on from outside the tub (remember no lifting legs) otherwise place a towel down and sponge bath yourself.  Pull a chaie inro your bathroom.  There will exercises you need to do.  Usually you would go to a nursing home after surgery for a few days and receive PT.  My surgery was a nightmare.  I ended up with a staph infection, I dislocated the hip (that was my fault as I lifted my leg up on the tub -- I was screaming).  I did not have control over the staph infection.  If you follow my suggestions you will be fine.  best of luck to you.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions and help!

i am in so much pain espcially at night i don't know why it hits me in the early morning hours i am in complete agony and i have strong pain meds but they mess up my sleep and make me nauseous.

my hip is bad, its osteoarthritis, x ray showed it. had CT scan 2 weeksago. the bad hip leg is much shorter than the other leg.

ohh wow lots to think about.  i knew about the toilet lift.  i can't use the shower then becuase i woiuld have to lift my leg over the tub. the nightgowns are a good idea, mine are all short maybe i can pick up a few this week. the grabber, cushion and other items.

will ask aboiut orientation.   hmm my first appt. with Ortho was over 2 months ago they never mentioned classes or orientation. i don't want to go to rehab because i had C-spine surgery 9 months ago and was sent to rehab it was a nightmare being there. i signed myself out

there is a PT and or nurse who comes to the house.

Frequent Contributor

Check with your local senior center about borrowing medical items. Many will lend them for free.

Super Contributor

@pdlinda @How was the recovery comparing the anterior and posterior method?    Was anterior any easier?  Please share any differences.  

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline At home I was able to get both occupational & physical therapy and once you are able you probably will be sent for so many outpatient physical therapy appointments depending on your needs.  Some people I know needed hardly any after surgery therapy but others depending needed more - I think it's important to use it as long as you need.

We have an agency, totally forgetting their name now, but one can get wheelchairs, walkers, canes, shower chairs, etc. for just a deposit & for as long as needed - so appreciated in our community.  I got a shower chair that kind of goes over the edge of the shower so you can shimmy from outside the shower to inside the shower on it.

And, like mentioned above Amazon has all what you may need also.

Trusted Contributor

@Memebell  They hype the anterior as being far superior to the posterior; however, I found the recovery about the same.  They say you can resume doing anything you normally do with the anterior in a short amount of time because they don't cut into the muscle; however, I'm told that they don't do that with the posterior method anymore.

They also said I could cross my leg with the anterior that was strongly discouraged with the posterior FOR LIFE.

I would say the most annoying thing with the anterior method was that the incision is in front of the hip so it's in direct contact with your panty line.  Because of that, the upper portion of the scar took a longer time to heal because of the friction of getting into and out of  underwear.  

Of course, now the scar is almost invisible and my 2008 scar is completely invisible.