Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement...Post-OpTips...

My BIL and an acquaintance of my son did amazing well after their hip replacements.

Never had  hip surgery  like to recommend having  a large container of water next to your bed. So you caretaker for the first couple of days does not have to do that task for you.  I think the PT comes to your home the first week so you don't have to go out. From what I saw both these men we back to normal feeling better than ever after having it done.

God Bless and keep us updated

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline     I had both hips replaced a couple years ago... It was for me basically painless. I had the miminly invasive  anterior approach done VS the old fashioned  posterior  approach which cuts through muscle and has a lot  longer incision.  Do you know what approach your surgeon is doing?

If it is the anterior approach... it is so easy.  I went home the same day.... and only took tylenol for pain.     I was up and walking with no walker no cane right away. 

Trusted Contributor

@Memebell  Yes, I do cross the anterior leg from time to time; however, I was so "programmed" never to do it with the posterior leg (for life) I will admit to some caution.

Also, my situation is complicated by the fact that as soon as I got the anterior hip done, my right knee started to deteriorate so that had to be replaced last Oct. 2019, AND the left knee will also need replacement soon.  However, because of the COVID situation I'm going to try and wait till next year because I need caregiver assistance post surgery (for the right knee I had someone come in for 3 weeks) and I don't feel comfortable right now having a succession of outside providers coming into my home.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

My hubby had a hip replacement and two following surgeries, 3 years ago, he had a removable raised toilet, which he was able to sit and stand form using his walker.

If I recall we bought a transfer seat and we wrapped his leg in plastic wrap, it is difficult at first and then becomes part of the routine

@CatsyCline wrote:

i have hip replacement in 9 days. it came up suddenly as there was a cancellation. that person refused the mandatory COVID test

i scared DH telling him he must help me use a commode and that he has to give me sponge baths for 2 weeks.

but seriously, what am i in for? i'm just talking do i need velcro on/off pants, raised toilet seat...what??

have a dr visit to 2 days before surgery to get the pain/procedure lo-down but it may too late for the commode shopping

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

OP here. i now know the surgery will be posterior approach.  i had an appt yesterday with the surgeon but only the PA was there. when i asked a lot of questions, one of them was why Posterior approach?  the PA seemed highly uncomfortable. i had a lot of questions for her.  i think she either had another appt or wasn't expecting all the questions.  she finally just stood up abruptly and said call if you have more questions and walked out!  strange though that as the surgeon's representative she didn't leave on it a high note and left me to negotiate the maze of corridors to the lobby. not a big deal but since i do use a cane it can be confusing. this was my 2nd time in the bldg. it's a huge practice with lots of offices and a PT facility.

went for my pre-op today, EKG, labs,  and had a Covid swab.  So easy! was dreading that but it was quick and felt like water got up my nose.

Tuesday is the big day!

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

OP here. i now know the surgery will be posterior approach.  i had an appt yesterday with the surgeon but only the PA was there. when i asked a lot of questions, one of them was why Posterior approach?  the PA seemed highly uncomfortable. i had a lot of questions for her.  i think she either had another appt or wasn't expecting all the questions.  she finally just stood up abruptly and said call if you have more questions and walked out!  strange though that as the surgeon's representative she didn't leave on it a high note and left me to negotiate the maze of corridors to the lobby. not a big deal but since i do use a cane it can be confusing. this was my 2nd time in the bldg. it's a huge practice with lots of offices and a PT facility.

went for my pre-op today, EKG, labs,  and had a Covid swab.  So easy! was dreading that but it was quick and felt like water got up my nose.

Tuesday is the big day!

@CatsyCline  That was terrible the PA did not answer your questions and left you there on your own suddenly. Not a good PA at all. Sorry you felt  abandoned. Shame on her!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Tuesday is the big day!

@CatsyCline  That was terrible the PA did not answer your questions and left you there on your own suddenly. Not a good PA at all. Sorry you felt  abandoned. Shame on her!

@SeaMaiden  i know i thought she was rude just running off like that.  usually the PA's are the warm fuzzy types there to provide the hand-holding that the surgeons don't because the surgeons are too busy and have more important fish to fry (or cut)

well hopefully things will go well. when i met him,  the surgeon was nice and has many years of experience.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Tuesday is the big day!

@SeaMaiden  i know i thought she was rude just running off like that.  usually the PA's are the warm fuzzy types there to provide the hand-holding that the surgeons don't because the surgeons are too busy and have more important fish to fry (or cut)

well hopefully things will go well. when i met him,  the surgeon was nice and has many years of experience.

@CatsyCline  The most important is the years of experience. My doctor was "nice" but did not have the best bedside manor...but he is the best in the business for knees and hips.  That was why I wanted him. Best wishes to you!  Hips are much easier than knees. The first week can be rough....but then  gets better  fast. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not had one myself but I worked in an IRF (Intensive Rehabilitation Facility). I would suggest going to a good rehab facility after you are discharged from the hospital that you have the surgery at. This will be 3 hours of physical and occupational therapy per day done in a way that works for your situation. You will have doctors and nurses there to assess you medically and staff to help you with bathing and will teach you ways to heal better. You may need a wheelchair for at home and going places. Is your house two stories with your bedroom on the second floor? Ask your doctor if you can walk after surgery or if you have to be "not weight bearing." If you are going home and not doing rehab, then consider paying  a home health aid to come every day to help you bathe, make your meals, do very light cleaning. Even if you have to pay for this, if you have any issues or problems or your spouse is not able to lift you or help you move, it is so worth paying this money. If you have to be non-weight bearing, it is difficult for family members to know how to successfully move and lift someone. In the hospital, you will wear a hospital gown only as you may have IVs in an arm or bindings/foam blocks around the hip area possibly. I have seen people who had hip replacements needing to be strapped into a special binder type foam pillow thing to keep their hip in the alignment that the orthopedist wants and they were not allowed to walk for a certain amount of days. If this is something you need, you can't wear pants. I am trying to remember what our hip replacement patients wore at the IRF, I guess mostly it was long dresses. If you'll be in a wheelchair for a short time, you might want your own throw blanket over your legs. I am going to EDIT: if you have the foam blocking thing you can wear underwear and pants under it. I was thinking of having pants going over the blocking. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Additionally, the social workers at the hospital will arrange for you to get the necessary equipment that you need through your insurance, assuming your insurance will pay for this and don't already have it. Get the shower chair that you prefer and the tall toilet handle thing with the raised cushion seat although your insurance will PROBABLY pay for this if your doctor writes the order and if the physical therapist and occupational therapist write a note stating you need it. If you have a bathroom in the bedroom, insurance usually won't pay for one of those temporary toilets one puts next to the bed where you go in the bowl and someone cleans it out (no water). It really all depends on the type of surgery you will need and your general health and physical stamina and strength. The physical therapy at an IRF is better than the kind that comes to your home. But you may or may not need the intensive kind. Again, best wishes.