Honored Contributor

My mother has this and it has brought her terrible pain.  Eat as little red meat and shell fish as possible.  Drink a lot of water.  Stay away from alcohol.  Take tart cherry capsules.  Puritan's Pride has them, as well as a lot of other places.  A doctor will have a diet sheet avaiable but if you go on line they have triggers as well.  There is medication also but not sure how effective it is.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Update, son went to his primary dr. who had done blood work last week. Oh, they didn't do the Uric acid levels, so now he has to wait on that.  Did find white blood cell elevated and liver function off.  They are redoing the entire panel.  His biggest downfall is red meat (dislikes any seafood including shell fish) and is now cutting back on the red meat.  Has never used alcohol but drinks tons of liquids, (watered down tang, and water).  Praying he can get this on track as he is on his feet all day at work.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Update, son went to his primary dr. who had done blood work last week. Oh, they didn't do the Uric acid levels, so now he has to wait on that.  Did find white blood cell elevated and liver function off.  They are redoing the entire panel.  His biggest downfall is red meat (dislikes any seafood including shell fish) and is now cutting back on the red meat.  Has never used alcohol but drinks tons of liquids, (watered down tang, and water).  Praying he can get this on track as he is on his feet all day at work.

Thanks for the update kitty60.  Please let us know he is doing and what they find out.  Prayers for your son.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor
One of my girlfriends has an occasional gout flare up, mostly triggered by shellfish. Whenever one comes on, she comes over to get several gallons of water from my ionizer with a pH of 11 and starts to slog it down. Says it helps a lot, your son may want to research this concept online.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Contributor

I also was diagnosed with gout the end of last year. I have had 4 terrible attacks where I coudn't put weight down at all on my foot! awful!!  I searched high and low for some sort of relief.  I found a natural pill called "Gout Clear". It has been a miracle. You take 2 pills a day and a bottle lasts for 1 month.  Go to Amazon and read the reviews. It 2-3 weeks to start feeling like something was working but I haven't had an attack and all is great.

They can be pricey. At amazon they are $39.95 a bottle. However if you go to the website goutclear.com they have a great deal right now on them.

Hope this helps because I know how horrible the flare-ups can be.

Good Luck

Honored Contributor

Kitty,

I haven't read the other posts yet, but my husband's learned to stay away from shrimp. Also cherry juice, the real thing, helps ease it up a lot, when he's had outbreaks. He doesn't do well on a low purine diet, but hasn't had a breakout of the gout in some time now. Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, son still doesn't know what his trigger is as he has only had this one outbreak that is going into it's fourth week.  Unfortunately he has had an allergic reaction from steroids and he is a mess.  Doesn't help we have had hot temperatures, I'm sure that has irritated the skin condition.  Praying relief will come.  He has begun the cherry tablets recommended by many, will see what happens.

Valued Contributor
My daughter is a Physician Assistant and associate professor and she saw a young man about 30 at her office who was experiencing an attack of gout in his toe. He'd never had it before. After reviewing his habits, he revealed that he had been on a diet and was eating 3or 4 kiwi fruits a day. She checked it out and sure enough it seemed to be this guys trigger.