Esteemed Contributor

Still in pain from wipeout in ice in Feb! Normal or not?

I slid down some concrete steps in the ice in February and my tail bone is STILL hurting....I can't sit for long periods of time without pain. I haven't been to the doctor---and I knw that's what some folks will probably tell me in this thread. I would just like to know if any of you have had a fall on the ice and taken this long to heal? I just don't know what's normal....
Honored Contributor

Re: Still in pain from wipeout in ice in Feb! Normal or not?

You're not going to like what I have to say.  I think it's time for an x-ray. 

I'm clumsy and have sported a bruise in one part of my body or another since I was a kid. 

5 months is a long time to see little improvement for this type of injury.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

You know, I had a really bad fall ( I tripped and hit my head and landed hard on my side on concrete) three years ago, where I pulled the intercostal muscles that surround the rib cage. And yes, I had medical care including parametics, an ER visit and follow up Dr visits. I couldn't move around normally for about two months and slept upright in a chair for that long because I couldn't lay down without extreme pain. 

They still feel sore sometimes when I sit in a certain position too long. I asked my husband about it, because he has had open heart surgery more than once and knows what damage to those muscles feel like and he said it also happens to him. 

I'm not familar with tail bone injuries, but that's my experience. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, bird mama...I probably just need to hear an objective opinion (maybe like a mom, right?) for some reason, I always seem reticent to go to the doctor when I think he will just tell me to give it time (yada yada....nothing can be done).
Honored Contributor

I'm almost 53, so if I am old enough to be your mother....

Sweetheart, it's time to see the doctor about your tailbone :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Jaxs - thanks for sharing your experience. Your fall seems much worse than mine. Glad you are better! I think I felt pain just reading your post.....yikes.
Respected Contributor

Been there, done that.  It's JULY.  If you can still feel the injury, you need to go to the Dr.  ... I see an MRI in your future.

Sorry!

Cat Sad

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I fell on my tailbone in my 30's and I remember it taking FOREVER to heal, if I remember right, I cracked it and it was about a year to feel completely better.  Not much they can do except tell you if it's been cracked but at least an X-Ray can tell you.... it is very painful~! Good luck with it, but do get it X-Ray'd....  Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

I had a bad fall last winter while stepping out onto my back deck. It was black ice that I didn't detect and fell hard on my tailbone. I was in pain for several days and finally went to my doctor. X-rays showed a small fracture. But I was told other than painkillers there was nothing that could be done. It had to heal on its own and I might always feel occasional pain, which I do.
Respected Contributor

If you broke your coccyx, it takes forever to heal and they're not going to be able to do anything for it. But if it's been that long and you don't feel like it's improving much at all, I would get checked just in case you may have injured something else. Hope you feel better soon.