Honored Contributor

Re: Good tumeric supplement

[ Edited ]

The only 2 I"ll buy are NEW CHAPTER and ANDREW LESSMAN (HSN).

I get New Chapter at Whole Foods or online.  I think I bought it at Vitacost before as well.

I've read into the data, and many turmerics are c a r a p p.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Frequent Contributor

I love Andrew Lessman's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Turmeric (ter-mer-ic)

You can use this spice you see in the spice section of your grocery store...no need to buy supplements in a bottle.  I would recommend buying the spice an organic version.  

Many specialty stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joes will carry the actual turmeric root which you can grate into your food items.  

Spice or actual root.  Again, no need to buy supplements.

ETA:  Curcumin, which is part of the turmeric root, is used mostly in turmeric labeled supplements.   Curcumin, by itself, is not early as effective as the whole turmeric spice.  NutritionFacts.org has an excellent series of turmeric videos explaining the pros/cons of turmeric plant vs pills. 

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/turmeric/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been taking turmeric that has tart cherry in it as well as ginger,quercotin, cayenne pepper and bioperine, from Puritan dot com .It has 750mg of the turmeric and you take 2 caps a day with meals.Actually I put it in my a.m. smoothies everyday. I can tell a difference in my aches and pains. It may take awhile to notice tho. And I think I ordered it from Amazon so I could get it in 2 days. A better price for it too .I also use fresh turmeric in my smoothies too , but using in powder form is more for cooking, it doesn't mix well if you want to drink it as it is very heavy and will sink to the bottom of the liquid. I have made golden milk using powder turmeric and it was kind of gritty too.And the powder does have a flavor that you may not be fond of in the powdered form; there is no flavor from the caps. I haven't tried the powder form in  smoothies using my Vitamix so it may be fine. I would go with a capsule, myself, already in a measured dose.

Honored Contributor

I buy Turmeric capsules at Walmart, and they seem to do about as much as the 8 X more expensive supplement at COSTCO.

I buy other supplements at COSTCO. 

Respected Contributor

Try Vitacost at vitacost.com.  They have a good turmeric with curcumin and bioprene.  It helped me.  My PCP says many of his patients also report good results with turmeric.  Cost is reasonable and arrives at your house within 2 days with no extra shipping costs.  I find this company which I believe is a part of Kroger stores very reputable.  Never had a problem.

Honored Contributor

We use Puritans Pride take one 1,000 mg cap daily, it also contains the black pepper.

Respected Contributor

Don't forget to sprinkle it generously right from the spice cupboard over any hot vegetables. Yummy! I like it on chicken too!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was reading how it has to be the right supplement or it just doesn't work.
Respected Contributor

@ccassaday  I actually have a bottle in front of me now.  I plan to order it again.  It is:

TUMERIC CURCUMIN WITH BIOPERINE by HealthZone (from Amazon),  500 mg, 120 capsules for $19.

I have found it somewhat helpful for the arthritis in my knees.