Honored Contributor

Re: Getting out of the house is good for your health

I walk outside twice a day no matter what the weather is.  Rain, snow cold or heat doesn’t stop me.  Sometimes ice will, if it is too bad and slippery.

I go out because my dogs need to go.  Since they were puppies, they have been walking around  8 or 9 am and again around 5 or 6 in the evening. We do about a 30 minutes for each walk. 

Some days I don’t really feel like it, but I am happy that I have no choice in the long run.  I do feel better if I keep moving.

It is 21 degrees and sunny here today. Tonight it will be colder, so we will walk faster.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@sfnative  they are finding that interacting with others make a big difference in your health

Even if you, only slowly ,build up your ability to get out in public and move, you still might run into neighbors or the postman, and chat for a minute or two

Many oldsters are so isolated, they  find that it's not healthy to hermit away ,day after day

@cherry

I so agree.  Just can't get out right now, because it's dangerous, due to ice on snow now ice on top of that.

We moved here nearly 4 years ago, so lost all my friends in that move.  This has occurred 5 times in the last 20 years with moves.  Due to the "tenor" of this city, if you're not in the same vibe regarding every facet of your life, friends are going to be few and far between.  And, because I'm not part of the uber _____ of this city, I'm out of luck.  Attempted to join a few groups, but was told, for instance, by a 20-something, very rudely, that she wouldn't want to sit and crochet with me because I'm not her age.  And, others, right off the bat asked me my political affiliation.  Am not having any of that, I can tell you!  However, that's the way it is here.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  its more than just getting out , it is interacting with other people ,they find  is beneficial

There are many reasons people don't get out. Some are frightened , and others have health issues. 

Right now it's a balmy 12 degrees here, not  easy with snow and ice to get out

My husband had a bad fall and is still healing. I just wanted people to see it's not just the walking, but meeting and talking to people that matters as well

Honored Contributor

I'm workin' on it. I have agoraphobia so it's sort of stressful to go out and do anything. I usually take my dog for walks and that helps quite a bit. Without her I'd be in trouble.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  good for you. Keep at it....Heart

Respected Contributor

Being able to do gardening all year is a plus for me. It's 80º now and low humidity, great for being outside. Now, the down side, and there always is one, is that too much sun exposure can lead to skin problems, even cancer. I had a melanoma removed from my nose a couple years ago. It does not keep me indoors.

Honored Contributor

I agree, fresh air is good, new outlook is good, and it helps prevent cabin fever in long winters. I think nature does that for us.

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady  you might give this a try. I knew of a girl who  wore glasses, and she used a leaf to cover her nose, and the glasses held it in place.  She was very fair ,and this, while it might look funny, stopped the sun from burning her nose

Respected Contributor

I get out every day.   I try to exceed 10,000 steps 

My dad who is 86 needs some sort of conversation and interaction every day.   I’m convinced that’s what’s preventing any sign of dementia 

Respected Contributor

The best investment I have made in myself was to hire a trainer and nutritionist.  I had a tough summer with one illness after another starting in April and had the big finale with a trip to the emergency room in August.  This simply was not me.

I've been blessed with very good health and at 71 refused to relent to all these health issues.  

After a visit to my doctor following my emergency visit, she recommended I do yoga or some sort of exercise.  As luck would have it the health club blocks away had chair yoga for seniors sponsored by Silver Sneakers.  In addition, there were cardio classes (for seniors).  I needed to target my core so decided to treat my body, mind and soul to healing and signed up to train.

Best move I've ever made.  Going on 5 months now.  Got off my cholesterol and HBP meds under the close supervision of my dr.  Have lost a few lbs in the meantime.  My clothes fit so much better.

On days I'm home, I do Essentrics on DVD.  Fabulous!

Mainly, I just wanted my health back.  Thought I'd never say this, but I can't wait to meet with my trainer.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown