Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D 

I was referring to the USA article written by Lilly Price.

Are you Lilly Price?

It’s good to reiterate food safety...for all foods. 

No, I’m not Lilly Price. 

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

What concerns me most is not knowing how Chinese restaurants handle their cooked rice. Do they make a big pot of it and let it sit out until they make fried rice from it hours later? 

The rice is steamed to order in a wok.  It's never boiled or cooked American style unless the customer requested it.

Not sure about the Japanese.  You can't see their kitchens from the takeout counter like you do the Chinese joints.

I mean that after cooking the white rice, do they leave the quantities of white rice out at room temperature awaiting orders and then use the white rice to make fried rice with it.

No.  The rice is left in the cooker held at a safe tempeture.

Safe temperature of below 40 F or above 140 F? Immediately after cooking the rice throughout at boiling/ steaming temperature 212 F the entire cooking time?

Frequent Contributor

I DO NOT EAT OUT ANYMORE AT CHINESE RESTAURANTS FOR THAT REASON.  I HAVE GOTTON SICK TOO MANY TIMES.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Now I am ready to go and buy some Shrimp Fried Rice at the Chinese restaurant.  I have NEVER had problems eating or storing white rice or fried rice and I have been around for some 60+ years.  I also read that article or one similar.  

What I learned while researching is that most people never know they have had a case of the milder form. They attribute it to just a case of the runs they have had for a couple of days or hours. Few seek medical attention for this. I don’t think I’ve ever had this either, but now I’m not so sure. I’m just going to be more careful with refrigerating my fried rice right away and not refrigerating it in a large, deep container. I won’t be leaving it out sitting on the counter for a couple of hours after delivery. When I reheat my rice I’ll be nuking it much longer, with the lid ajar, adding a table of water to the rice, and making sure it’s steaming all the way through...although this might not help if there is any toxin present. The toxin requires 80 to 90 minutes of high heat to be deactivated ( I’m don’t know what the time by microwave is in this matter).

Honored Contributor

Re: Fried Rice Syndrome

[ Edited ]

No, don't eat  your meter risk, blindness, amputations. stroke, heart attack, and kidney failure

Don't trust shills ,trust the best minds in the world, who are fighting for a cure..We are winning. People used to die early from diabetes, most went blind, many lost limbs. They found a way to prevent this through medicine , diet ,and exercise

Wellness is the goal of the medical world, and they are fighting to make us all well...and they have come a long way, toward all of us living a full life ,with this disease

Honored Contributor

My solution is easy . . . I will just remove rice in any form from my already miniscule diet.  It binds me up anyway.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Surely it can’t be news that foods need to stored correctly.

I eat rice most days but always make it fresh.  Somehow it tastes bad leftover.

Treat yourself to a really nice cooker, you won’t be sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

Hi MindyD,

B. cereus is a very nasty bacillus.  It is not common in the major brands of long grain rice purchased in the U.S..  I need to research the source of this blanket statement, because if this were so across the board, most of my Asian friends now and from years past...well I just wonder, that's all.

Having taken one year of Micro as part of nursing school, I can tell you that the "bad guys" always stay with you, and this is one of them.

Also, would like to throw in the fairly recent results published regarding the use of various cooking oils and carcinogens.  Canola oil, which is one that would/might be used to make fried rice, has been under close scrutiny and the word is now out: when canola oil is used in temperatures exceeding, I believe 375 degrees, a chemical change occurs in the oil, the end result of which  is that carcinogens are created.  Honestly, I don't recall if it's one or two carcinogens, but the carcinogens are there and consumed.  After having read the various study results on AllMDX, I immediately stopped using canola oil.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

My solution is easy . . . I will just remove rice in any form from my already miniscule diet.  It binds me up anyway.

You don’t have to eliminate rice. Just eat it right after you make it.