Honored Contributor

Another good source of information on this. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs269

Honored Contributor

Re: Fried Rice Syndrome

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I come from a bi-racial Japanese-American family and was raised on white rice. Never had a problem with it, even when it was left out on the counter over night. In fact, most Japanese do not refrigerate their cooked rice. They will tell you not to do that because it changes the texture of the rice...not in a good way. They will, however refrigerate the rice and use that for fried rice dishes. My mom would cook a Japanese brand of short-grain white rice in a rice cooker which boils then steams it. But before it was cooked it was washed thoroughly then soaked in water at room temp for almost 8 hours prior to cooking it.

I’m aware of this practice among Japanese families. In my opinion, the practice is risky, but so many Japanese adhere to this practice. Something must be allowing people to avoid illness. This warrants further study. The number of illnesses in Japan has been hard for me to locate. I also wonder if there is some aspect of this practice that prevents people from becoming ill. Could there be some immunity to infection or lack of response to the toxins in the populations? 

Honored Contributor

I'm not going to worry about it or change anything I've done for 50 years.  I will continue to eat my 2 day old fried rice.  If I haven't died yet, I won't.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm not going to worry about it or change anything I've done for 50 years.  I will continue to eat my 2 day old fried rice.  If I haven't died yet, I won't.  

@chrystaltree 

Me either. I don't eat as much rice as in the past. When I did, it was only brown rice.  It is hard for me to get too concerned about all the "this is bad/recalled/toxins" news(?). 

I will continue to eat as I have in the past and present. I'd say close to 95% of what I eat is not cooked, and most of it is from a natural source.

What others think is best for themselves and their families is up to them. I am sure they are doing what they feel is best for all.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I come from a bi-racial Japanese-American family and was raised on white rice. Never had a problem with it, even when it was left out on the counter over night. In fact, most Japanese do not refrigerate their cooked rice. They will tell you not to do that because it changes the texture of the rice...not in a good way. They will, however refrigerate the rice and use that for fried rice dishes. My mom would cook a Japanese brand of short-grain white rice in a rice cooker which boils then steams it. But before it was cooked it was washed thoroughly then soaked in water at room temp for almost 8 hours prior to cooking it.

Yeah, articles/links like the OP posted is silly fear-mongering.

Like the title of the OP says, ‘fried rice’...

it’s the FRIED part which will do more harm to health, not the ‘rice’.

People will sit down & shove down Dominos, Twinkies & bowls of

Mac & Cheese in without batting an eye, but...

HORROR!....

rice??? 

HOLD UP

People are funny. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

HORROR!....

rice??? 

HOLD UP

People are funny. 

sidsmom, aren’t you careful of the way you store your cooked foods? That’s all this is about. It’s about awareness of the proper handling and cooking of rice. I’ve been leaving my fried rice sitting out for hours until I’ve been hungry enough to eat it. I had no idea that this was not a safe practice. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

HORROR!....

rice??? 

HOLD UP

People are funny. 

sidsmom, aren’t you careful of the way you store your cooked foods? That’s all this is about. It’s about awareness of the proper handling and cooking of rice. I’ve been leaving my fried rice sitting out for hours until I’ve been hungry enough to eat it. I had no idea that this was not a safe practice. 

@Mindy D 

Of course I’m careful of the way I store my cooked foods.

But...

The focus of the article is about rice...and fried rice...and more rice.

The specific food ‘rice’ has nothing to do with/ food poisoning. 

Food poisoning can happen with any food.

It’s odd the article is going overboard focusing on a food source

eaten by millions of people around the World.  

Clickbait much?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

HORROR!....

rice??? 

HOLD UP

People are funny. 

@Mindy D 

Of course I’m careful of the way I store my cooked foods.

But...

The focus of the article is about rice...and fried rice...and more rice.

The specific food ‘rice’ has nothing to do with/ food poisoning. 

Food poisoning can happen with any food.

It’s odd the article is going overboard focusing on a food source

eaten by millions of people around the World.  

Clickbait much?

Hi, sidsmom. It’s not an article. I wrote this. My intent is to make people aware of the safe handling, cooking, reheating and storage of rice; especially leftover rice. I have no intention of vilifying rice. I’ve been mishandling it myself for years. Now I know better. I’ll refrigerate it much sooner, in shallow containers. I won’t be leaving it (usually in my Chinese food delivery bag) out a couple of hours until I’m ready to eat. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Fried Rice Syndrome

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

I was referring to the USA article written by Lilly Price.

Are you Lilly Price?

It’s good to reiterate food safety...for all foods. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

What concerns me most is not knowing how Chinese restaurants handle their cooked rice. Do they make a big pot of it and let it sit out until they make fried rice from it hours later? 

The rice is steamed to order in a wok.  It's never boiled or cooked American style unless the customer requested it.

Not sure about the Japanese.  You can't see their kitchens from the takeout counter like you do the Chinese joints.

I mean that after cooking the white rice, do they leave the quantities of white rice out at room temperature awaiting orders and then use the white rice to make fried rice with it.

No.  The rice is left in the cooker held at a safe tempeture.