Regular Contributor

Anyone do it every day?

Just curious because when I got my 1st crown just recently I was told I needed to floss every day because if anything got under the crown it could get infected. I admit, that scared me because I HATE mouth pain.

I was never much of a flosser but I have pretty faithfully been doing it since my crown. I am ok with doing the bottom teeth but I have problems doing the top teeth. It's just very awkward positioning to me.

I go back to the dentist next week so I am hoping to get a good report on the health of my teeth and gums.

Honored Contributor

Flossing is really important in keeping your gums firm and strong so they won't bleed.  It also gets rid of the food (blech) that lodges between teeth and yes, getting something up under the crown is a potential infection hazard.  I have a ton of crowns (long story about a crooked dentist when I was a kid!)  and taking care to keep food out of the area and keeping your gums pink and firm is really important.  Yes, I floss several times a day and even carry floss in my purse....  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

No - I don't.  I had one of those small tools that holds the floss that makes it easy to manipulate upper and lower teeth.   Google "dental floss holder" .... there are several types.

I brush my teeth twice a day and see the dentist every six months.  I have some veneers and bonding.  So far, so good w/o flossing.

Honored Contributor

I floss everyday and sometimes several times a day.  I am fortunate that I have all of my natural teeth with fillings and a crown and plan to keep them for my lifetime.

i have to admit that I like the feel of the floss on my gums.  As a child, I used to get into my mother sewing box and get a piece of her thread to run between my teeth.  One of those weird addictions, but serves me well.

My dentist tells me that my gums are very healthy... so important.  Flossing is wonderful for gum health.

i am just wondering how food can get under a crown.  I have one and it is tight and fits a bit under my gum line.  Nothing could get under it.  maybe there are different types???

Respected Contributor

Yes - I floss every day. I think it is very important to do so. 

Honored Contributor

@JB116  I have a mouthfull  of crowns on all of my molars.  Be sure that you pull the floss out.  Always good to floss down and pull out on the bottom, and floss up and pull out on the top.  Otherwise you can loosen the crown.

Super Contributor

Re: Flossing your teeth

[ Edited ]

I floss several times every day.  I also carry GUM Soft Picks (come with their own little carrying case) in my bag.  They are fabulous and absolutely necessary if you ever eat something like spinach salad!  I get them at Target.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Flossing your teeth

[ Edited ]

@JB116  Yes, I floss at least once a day most of time twice a day.  I've had periodontal surgery on my gums and have to floss so my gums will not return to the way they were.  One tool my periodontist recommended is an interdental brush.

interdental brush.png

I use this first before I brush, then brush (I use a Sonicare),  then floss.   After that, I rinse with Listerine Ultraclean.  It's an ordeal and I don't enjoy the flossing, but I always do it.  

Came back to add tht my periodontist said that the Waterpik is no substitute for flossing....  A friend of mine went to him (her regular dentist sent her to him because of gum problems).  She had always used the waterpik - my periodontist told her to stop the waterpik and start flossing...

Honored Contributor

Yes, either floss or water pik everyday.  I have several crowns and no dentist ever told me that food could get underneath and cause decay???

Respected Contributor

I am a flossing fanatic. I have been knowned to floss at a red light, can't stand food between my teeth.