Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Yes, @LilacTree, I have OA in the right thumb, feet, knees, back and hip.  The only severe place is the thumb and knees.

When you still have your right mind, you're right....that's the most important place.

I'm 68, almost 69.  What I meant was that around 60 is when most of my issue s started.  The knees haven't been great since forever no matter what my weight is but I feel better when I'm skinny.  Look better, too, lol.

Keep your head up and the good attitude.  It helps.  Hope you're exercising.

Hi MmsFoxxie.  I can see you're familiar with pain.  My worst pain is in my back, from osteoporosis and collapsed vertebrae, and that is an every day thing.

As far as exercise, that is pretty much a no-no with RA.  As I've noted in this thread, they are really two different diseases, the one thing in common is the joint destruction and hand surgery in cases of OA is much more successful than in RA.  There is a lot of inflammation in RA and any amount of physical activity results in days worth of worse pain.

Thanks for your uplifting words . . . and back to you!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I am SO sorry you have this problem... I am just starting to feel some aching in the top center of my right hand.  I've actually had relief from (Brand) Tommy Copper gloves, which can be ordered on-line.  I know what is going on with  me is mild compared to you, but would feel remiss if I didn't at least mention the relief I've had.  These are the only copper infused items that are actually made with fibers that are infused with copper and woven so the entire item radiates the copper.  This is patented and no one can copy how they do this.  But it's like anything, they can't advertise any "healing" properties as not everyone reacts in the same way.  Just beware of copy cats that are being sold in places like Wal-Mart that "place" copper pieces within the item... different affect.  Can only be purchased on their website tommycopperdotcom.

I have the gloves with no fingertips in beige and black.  I also have knee wraps that really help my poor Karate knees.  I swear by them... they also provide slight compression as well (which I like)....

I have no interest in this company at all other than I've found something that works for me and I tell people hoping it works for them too.... 

Good luck and my prayers for relief.... take care.... 

@Q4u, I will have a look-see at this website.  Sounds very helpful!  My RA started with top of the hand swelling, I had no idea what it was so I just ignored it, as it only lasted a few hours.  Then it went to wrists and stayed there a long time, weeks.  It's been everywhere since then.

By the way, I don't shop at WalMart.  I do only online shopping, and not much of that.  But I will check out the copper products.

Thank you for your good wishes!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

You may find that Dragon's voice-recognition software can help you with the computer -- you just talk and it types for you! Also other commands -- might be very convenient for you!

Yes, I've heard of Dragon software.  I plan to look into it.  Thanks for the suggestion!!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

My right hand has just taken a turn for the worse.  I am now wearing a vinyl glove to try to keep my fingers together.  I can't use a brace when I type.  Rheumatologist said surgery is the only treatment. 

I researched yesterday and hand surgery in RA cases is not particularly successful.  Many scars and sometimes increased lack of dexterity.  It is my right hand (the deformity always appears first in the hand that's used most and I'm such a "righty" I doubt I will be able to type with just my left hand). I will discuss this with a surgeon, and in the meantime, the vinyl glove is helping.

Almost shed tears while researching and watching a video of hand surgery (really awful), but I didn't cry.  I never cry about my health, just about everything else.  I have been typing for over 60 years and using a computer for 36.  Touch screens won't do much for me because one still has to type, e.g., on this BB. 

This is not a surprise, I knew it would come.  I just hate that it's here.  I still feel lucky to be alive at this age and will just have to accept that life is going to be different in the coming months.

Oh it sounds very painful! I really feel for you. I have been told by my rheumy that I need hand surgery, too. But my hands are just the opposite of yours...my hands are frozen in a fixed semi-fist position. I can no longer move my fingers. I tell people I have manikin-itis. It's my way of saying sceroderma. Surgery would not be my choice. I am finally adapting to having bucket-carrying hands after having put up with this disease for 14+ years.  In your case, however, surgery  would be a step in the right direction and I hope you can heal well from it. I, too feel lucky to be alive after all I've been through with this terrible disease. No cure...just a lot of hope and lots of praying. Take care. 

OMG how are you typing this then?  I have scleroderma and Sjogren's too, so I don't know which one this is, although doc says it's the RA. 

How are you able to type this? . . . I really would like to know what method you are using.  My heart goes out to you.  How do you manage everyday things?  Is it both hands? 

You don't have to answer my probing questions, just know that I'm sending you my strongest good vibes.  You sound so brave. 

LilacTree, I'm all thumbs! No pun intended but my thumbs are the only digits on my hands that stick out somewhat. So that's how I do it. You shoud see me trying to put on mascara!Smiley SurprisedSmiley Very Happy

Oh wow .  .  . my goodness.  This sounds far worse than my failing fingers!  I hope you have help for most things.  IMO, the brain, then the hands are the most important parts of our bodies.  You have a wonderful attitude, I am very impressed with how you handle this painful, frustrating, no-cure disease.  Have a painfree day!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

So sorry to hear this.   Sounds like you have some good recommendations for voice to text programs...to allow you to continue to post.

I have a story suggestion you might relate to.

Her symptoms were the same even though she was 20+yrs younger.

I can't link, but

Google:  Leslie Craine McDougall

That story might inspire you & give you hope.

Good luck, dear! 

Thank you for that.  I will read this!  And thank you for your good wishes also. 

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

So sorry to hear this.   Sounds like you have some good recommendations for voice to text programs...to allow you to continue to post.

I can't link, but

Good luck, dear! 

Thank you for that.  I will read this!  And thank you for your good wishes also. 

ETA:  Sid's Mom.  Believe it or not these are the foods I mostly eat!  I must have come across this diet before.  However, I do also eat fish . . . salmon and tuna mostly.  I do not eat meat at all in any form.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I can't link, but

Good luck, dear! 

ETA:  Sid's Mom.  Believe it or not these are the foods I mostly eat!  I must have come across this diet before.  However, I do also eat fish . . . salmon and tuna mostly.  I do not eat meat at all in any form.

Unfortunately fish is meat.  All animal flesh & animal byproducts are highly inflammatory. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lilac Tree I'm sorry you're going through all this pain and anxiety.  I hope you can find a solution that works for you.  

I use my Kindle tablet much much more than my laptop.  One finger is all I need and it's so portable.  I wish you would give a tablet another try.  But the Dragon suggestions seemed smart,too.

I wish you all the best.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Get yourself a tablet with a stylus which takes minimal effort to use, and get yourself this device from Lapworks on Amazon so you can effortlessly hold the tablet for hours painlesslt.  I've already figured this out for you because I need it.

Screenshot_2016-04-21-22-41-36.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

DH bought a Dragon but ended up giving it to a friend who is writing a book and the guy loves it!

DH also has a lot of arthritis which started with his grandfather, his mom and now him.  He has psoriatic arthritis and his fingers look like knobby, square digits.  He drops everything he picks up. 

I feel for all you that have this issue.

I consider myself so fortunate as I worked for nearly 30 years as a medical transcriber and have NEVER had a problem with my fingers or hands and never carpal tunnel which so many transcibers contracted.