Honored Contributor

@alicedee,

OP lost her mom 2 weeks ago.

Respected Contributor

Oh no....thank you for telling me, @RedTop .  @conlt My deepest sympathies.  Sometimes I post on so many threads I forget what I may have seen.

Honored Contributor

Just remember there are miles and miles between “nursing home” and “hospice.” There is no comparison.  My beloved sister was in both at separate times. The nursing home was a dirty living hell, and the hospice was a clean, quiet Garden of Eden in comparison.

It was the staff and the real caring and love shown by the nurses and aides in hospice, who clearly respected my sister, kept her room and her clean and fresh, brought in loving dogs who were trained to show love as well, came in to say good night, called her “Patricia,” as though they had been friends forever.

At the nursing home, she and her bed were pushed into a corner of a small room meant for one, no windows, right up against a sink, allowed mentally ill people to roam the halls and enter patient’s rooms, take their belongings, and when my sister (and we) complained, showed arrogance and obvious hatred of their jobs. That’s where the local hospital had sent her.

I told my niece to get her out of there immediately, it was so disgusting.  She was on Medicaid.  My niece got her out  within two days to the hospice, and the cost was only nominally higher. she lived for six more months in the hospice. She wouldn’t have lasted a week at the nursing home.

The family has to care, that is the key. The hospital just has to get them out as soon as possible because of cost.

It was a lesson I hope my family learned.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I have never heard a bad thing about hospice.

I wish members of my family had used it for ther loved ones.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

(((hug time))) God's peace be with you and your family at this difficult time.