Super Contributor

I am Tuesday. Having had pain after eating any time 1/2 to 4 hours later. Pain radiates to my back below left breast. Lost 8 lbs in two weeks. Lots of burping for me is unusual.

I just wondering if they put you out with anesthesia because I cannot eat after midnight. Anyone?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Endoscopy: Anyone had one?

Yes. My dr uses propofol.
Respected Contributor

As I remember, they swabbed my mouth. I don't remember anything else; it was not nearly as bad as I had expected.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, you will be put out and will not feel anything at all! I had a similar problem which turned out to be acid reflux. Can be helped with medication and/or being very careful about not eating foods that trigger reflux. Don't worry. You will be totally asleep!
Occasional Contributor

You won't feel a thing. Your throat might be sore later but just a little bit. Are they checking your gallbladder also?
Frequent Contributor

ENDOSCOPY IS THE GENERAL TERM, as if to say, I am going to the store. The procedures that fall under an endoscopy are EGD OR COLONOSCOPY, AS IF TO SAY, more specifically, I am going to a specific store, Kroger, HEB, Stater Brothers , etc. Yes, we use Propofol at the Endo Center I work for in Houston. I am an Endoscopy RN, and we are using conscious sedation less and less, which I feel is a good move. I personally had my colonoscopy performed last November and felt very rested and refreshed after the procedure. No driving and no alcohol for the remainder of the day due to the anesthesia , and drink plenty of fluids post procedure. If having an EGD(esogastroduodenoscopy) when the scope is passed down the throat, make sure you take small bites of food post procedure to make sure you can handle the food without any difficulty. Absolutely nothing to drink or eat after midnight, and that includes chewing gum or on hard candys.
Respected Contributor

Yes, you fade off to.sleep nice and relaxed, and you wake up before you know it. Be kind to your tummy after this. Don't drink carbonated drinks (bubbles) and eat simply and lightly afterwards.

I had a soft boiled egg, white toast and hot tea after I came home.

The doc should be giving you detailed instructions in this.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Frequent Contributor

My mother has this performed every two to three years due to Barrett's Esophagus. As is sometimes the case, the mental prep is so much worse than the actual procedure. My mom is a little groggy for awhile, due to anesthesia, but she regains her composure pretty quickly. I take her to the app't and bring her to my home for awhile to rest. Funny story...the first time my mom had this done I was told to go into her room where she was just beginning to wake from the endoscopy. The gastro had left the instrument on so the monitor was showing what the instrument was seeing (I thought it was a still shot). I said to the nurse, "Is THAT the inside of my mother's throat?". That sight was not anything I was accustomed to thinking what the insides of our throats look like . She laughed and said "No, that is a live shot of the towel the instrument is on." Needless to say I felt rather dumb.

My mom says there is no pain and the only discomfort is knowing that someone is going down your throat. She has no difficulty with this any longer.

Honored Contributor

I have had many endoscopies and am due for another one. My gastro doc checks me every six months because I have a "rare condition" in my stomach. I am overdue because of all the back stuff recently, but I have to get there really soon.

I am put into twilight sleep by my doc. I think propofol is overkill for this procedure and I would refuse it. But you have to go with whatever your doctor suggests.

Good luck . . . don't worry about this, it is a very benign procedure.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Occasional Contributor

You will be comfortable. I always tell my patients that I never guarantee that you will not remember anything however 99.9% of all people don't remember. It is a sedation not a general anesthesia. Some gastroenterologist use the standard sedation versed and fentanyl and others utilize anesthesia providers who give the propofol. The advantage of propofol is that is gets you deeper for the procedure and not have a hangover effect that the other medication may have. Kookielady......do you still have your gallbladder? P.S I am an anesthetist