Honored Contributor

My husbands brother is aging and his wife is not in great health either and they need some help at home. From what I understand from my niece medicare does not pay for much help in the home, does that sound correct?

He fell and they had to call a friend to help get him up, I guess he had a dizzy spell, they gook him to the ER but all they did was give him something for dizziness and sent him home.

I don't doubt what my niece tells me but she has a lot on her plate, (she is in the middle of 1 years worth of b cancer treatments) and I would like to help out if they will let me. Right now the only care he can get is someone will come in 3x a week to help my brother in law get a bath and shave. I know that I can go over to their home (we don't live in the same town) but I have offered in the past and they always say no. If you know of any services that medicare pays for I'd appreciate knowing what that is......thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Home health for relative

Super Contributor

What isn·t covered?

24-hour-a-day care at home. ¦¦Meals delivered to your home. ¦¦Homemaker services like shopping, cleaning, and laundry when this is the only care you need, and when these services aren’t related to your plan of care. See page 19. Personal care given by home health aides like bathing, dressing, and using the bathroom when this is the only care you need.

They may pay for homemaker services if your in-law is also receiving nursing or physical therapy services. His daughter needs to ask the home care agency. There's a lot of catch 22s and loopholes. My mother had a tracheotomy but a LPN was too skilled to provide suctioning and cleaning but an aide was not skilled enough. I had to do these functions 5 times a day. But they did send me an aide to wash our floors and bathe my mom twice a week.

The daughter should find out if there are any agencies that provide low cost services to the aging. Here in Florida, we have the 'Economic Council on Aging' which provides services that Medicare doesn't pay for like meals, cleaning, transportation, etc. However, there is usually a long waiting list. Good Luck. Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Check in to your state's Dept on Aging. There are federal dollars under the Senior Care Act, that can pay all or part of services for meals, cleaning, etc, based on the person's income. It's a sliding scale.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

They would probably qualify for home health care under Medicare to figure out a plan and to evaluate what is going on. They would need a physicians order but Medicare will pay for skilled intermittent services at 100% for a fairly short period of time. I would say they need a Registered nurse to look at the overall health and medication use/compliance, an evaluation and plan set up for Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy, a Social Worker to work on a long term plan, and an aide to help in bathing for now (they only stay about 1 hour and giver personal care only). Home Health under Medicare is limited to skilled need until the patient reaches his or her optimal potential what ever that may be. At least it is a start and they can help the family work out a long term plan.
Respected Contributor

For personal care every state is different. There are some diversion programs set-up around the country that are funded by the government who's purpose is to keep people out of nursing homes.
Respected Contributor

Your niece is basically correct. Medicare will cover home health services for an initial certification period if there is a documented need for skilled nursing care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and/or speech therapy. The niece might be able to talk to the physician to see if there is anything in his care that might be considered skilled nursing, but skilled nursing does not include assistance with daily living, grooming, supervision, or things that are considered personal care. There has to be a documented need for skilled nursing and if that exists, then Medicare will also pay for a home health aide to assist during the time frame the skilled services are being delivered.

The patient must also be homebound for Medicare to cover for skilled services as. They do allow trips to the doctor, etc., but Medicare has strict guidelines to determine homebound status.

As a previous poster mentioned, you might check into any state/federal funded programs that are set up to assist seniors with light housekeeping and grooming activities.

There are also services that offer care for seniors in the home that provide light meal preparation, light housekeeping, and so forth...but of course those services are private pay unless there is a long term care insurance policy that might cover those services. Home Instead, Angels Senior Home Solutions, and Almost Family are agencies in this area that provide this type of assistance in the home.

You might also check into adult day centers. Some adult day cares will come pick the individual up, transport to the center, and drop them back off in the afternoon.

Good luck to you and your niece.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

I checked into the Dept. of Aging for my mom at the time but they wanted to know everything about her financial status, checking, savings, etc. The scale was based on everything. I hired part time home health care in the long run. That's a whole other story. Also check into VA assistance if he was a Vet. You can only make so much.

Super Contributor

Home health care is expensive. Most agencies, for example Visiting Angels, have daily and weekly minimums.

Aging isn't for the faint of heart.

However, consider that when he fell, they just called a friend, and not 911. He's probably doing better than you think.

Honored Contributor

I was going to list it all, let me go straight to my bottom line instead.

SAVE YOUR MONEY, Make arrangements and have all paperwork and power of attorney done. Do consult only the professionals, attorneys too. You need the right answers.

Get a contract for falls, with an ambulance company. $35. a yr. was a life saver.

You will pay for home health care. Heck of a lot less than a nursing home. Why you physically can keep them home do. When you can't, there is an option.

Read up on line for some answers and go to professionals for questions you need answers to, may as well do it right, and they know stuff the average person has no idea about.