Contributor

Has anyone had this done?  I'm going in August and I'm concerned how long it takes and your experience with the outcome.  I've read where you can be awake for this procedure; however, my doctor only doesn't it when they put you under anesthesia.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Honored Contributor

@dusty523 wrote:

Has anyone had this done?  I'm going in August and I'm concerned how long it takes and your experience with the outcome.  I've read where you can be awake for this procedure; however, my doctor only doesn't it when they put you under anesthesia.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I had it done about 17 years ago but it didn't work for me. I ended up having to get a hysterectomy. The ablation didn't take long at all. It's an outpatient procedure. I was in there the same morning and up and about that evening. I don't know why you are having it, I wanted to try it, unfortunately I had issues that could only be solved with a hysterectomy.

Respected Contributor

One friend of mine had it done about seven years ago and haven't had a problem. Another friend had it done this past May and had to have a hysterectomy a month later. Like with anything, some people have success with it and some don't. I wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

I know several other people it didn't work for either, but I had it done because it's far less invasive than a hysterectomy though those aren't that bad anymore. I recall my mom having a hysterectomy and it being quite major. That was over 30 years ago.

I wish you the best also.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Endometrial Ablation

[ Edited ]

I have had this done twice. At age 51 and 52 to eliminate the problems of entometreosis. The first time was successful for a year and my periods continued normally. The second time it was successful and my periods stopped immediately. Never went through menopause, hot flashes or anything else. That was 19 and 20 years ago. I had a spinal block each time since I'm allergic to the stuff they use to put patients to sleep, but was home later that same afternoon. Best wishes on your healthcare.

ERA: I still have annual mammograms and see my GYN annually. From what I understand those tests might be stopped when I reach 75. I'm 71. IDK yet.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

I had an ablation done in my forties. It stopped my periods and my female issues.I did go through menopause in my fifties. It was an outpatient procedure and I had no problems. Em

Respected Contributor

I had one 5 yrs ago along with a cervical fibroid removal....

was having post menopausal break through bleeding.

So far so good. Worst part was pre procedure anxiety which is standard for me 😟.

Contributor

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I am just a little anxious pre-op.  You all have helped me tremendously and thank you for the well wishes.  

Honored Contributor

@dusty523 Best Wishes to you for a quick and easy and successful procedure!