Honored Contributor

I still love . . . But find I don’t care anymore about many things that I used to care about.

One of my daughters and her son, my grandson, live with me.  They have been on a “cleaning out” project for several weeks now.  Most of the things that are going are being donated to veterans organizations, some to storage, and a lot to trash.  They ask me along the way and my response is mostly “I don’t care.”  

I have moved many, many times and always found it hard to part with things I’ve had for a long time.  Not anymore.

I am beginning to wonder what that means.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I don’t care anymore

[ Edited ]

i feel that exact same way.......but i know my health plays a big role....i have a few chronic pain issues that strongly affect my attitude.....

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't sound as if you're referring to the 'I don't care' that goes along with "I don't have hope." That would be concerning, but not caring about most material things is probably a good thing. I'm there with you. I work with a lady who cares waaay too much about what goes on during the workday. She'd be happier if she was more selective about what she gave her emotional energy to. I'd like to think I'm a recovering people pleaser. I'm much happier now. I also am leaning towards more minimalism.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong -- I think you're at a good place. ? 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

As long as you haven't given up on life, I think the "I don't care" thinking is normal and you are okay.

Yesterday at church service, our minister quoted "we live life forwards but understand it backwards."  I think as time passes we finally know what is really important.  Things that are boxed up and put away in our attic and basements, things we never think about or look at or use, are just collecting dust and taking up space.  I think "I don't care" can be a very good place to be.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree       I feel more and more that way... do not feel the importance of THINGS. It has little to do with our demise... but more I think a knowing and growing about what is truely important to us. And that takes years of living to get to that point.  So do not read something into it that is not there. Smiley Happy   And remember what my Irish Mom use to say....ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG..... 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

It doesn't sound as if you're referring to the 'I don't care' that goes along with "I don't have hope." That would be concerning, but not caring about most material things is probably a good thing. I'm there with you. I work with a lady who cares waaay too much about what goes on during the workday. She'd be happier if she was more selective about what she gave her emotional energy to. I'd like to think I'm a recovering people pleaser. I'm much happier now. I also am leaning towards more minimalism.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong -- I think you're at a good place. ? 

Not really . . . I wish.  My health is getting worse, but I won’t discuss that.  I really don’t know what it is, perhaps changes in my brain?  Old age?  Boredom?  That I look into the mirror and don’t see the woman I was? I do know that I feel this is not my own world anymore.

Makes me understand why old people don’t have much to say.  Because no one is listening?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

It means you've come to your senses!  Love, Jusice

Honored Contributor

This isn't a comment about the OP, but when given a booklet on preparing for the death of a family member, it said they would not have interest in earthly things and would start pulling away from us.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

This isn't a comment about the OP, but when given a booklet on preparing for the death of a family member, it said they would not have interest in earthly things and would start pulling away from us.

I would not say I am pulling away from my loved ones . . . If anything, they mean more to me than ever.  But yes, possessions like jewelry mean nothing to me.  I tell my daughter, keep it if you like it.  If not give it away or sell it if it has value.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree For me it's taken a lifetime to realize that material stuff is not worth really caring about.  What counts is relationships and people.

I have hung on to meaningless stuff for years, what for, I can't figure out.  Now I only keep things that make me happy.

Maybe you feel the same  way.