Honored Contributor

I’ve had discussions about scooters on the forums before, mainly I think with @Kachina624. Wasn’t ready, didn’t have the $$, wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted. I had saved the details of about 4-5 different scooters, including a couple I was particularly interested in.

Today I was channel surfing past HSN and lo and behold, they had one of the scooters I was interested in - for $300 off the regular price, and with accessories many places don’t give you free and that may cost another $75-$100. I have looked at QVC’s scooter(s) but have never been super-impressed at scooter/price.

I dithered for a minute, but they only had a few left and no one has it at this price, not even the mfg.  So, I bit the bullet. Now have to clean out my trunk to make room for it, and figure out how to pay for it 😜🍾

It auto-folds with the push of a button. Has lithium batteries which are much lighter than the older scooter batteries and can go on planes and cruise ships (I have no plans but you never know). Weighs 60 lbs complete with the battery, 55 lbs without. I think that’s doable. Made by one of the most reputable companies in the medical equipment biz. Fingers crossed. I bought a red one!

4126B4F7-BEE6-4E52-90B0-EC414E6C0262.jpeg

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Make sure you purchased one that will hold your weight.  There is a maximum weight on all the scooters.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde  Make sure you purchased one that will hold your weight.  There is a maximum weight on all the scooters.  Cat Very Happy

I’m aware. This will work perfectly, even carrying packages.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde. Congratulations on the scooter.  Are you sure you can lift 50lbs?  There's no way I could; I struggle with 30lb bags of dog food.  Be sure you manage the battery according to mfg recommendations.  Call them if you're not sure.  You'll have a stroke when you see how expensive they are.  Have fun with it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  That is excellent advice.  I cannot lift my cat's litter that is 40 lbs. and I will never buy that big of a bag again.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde. Congratulations on the scooter.  Are you sure you can lift 50lbs?  There's no way I could; I struggle with 30lb bags of dog food.  Be sure you manage the battery according to mfg recommendations.  Call them if you're not sure.  You'll have a stroke when you see how expensive they are.  Have fun with it.

@Kachina624 I’m not positive, but I know I can lift 40-ish. It won’t be that far a lift. If I have issues we can rig something so it’s as much slide as lift, a sorta-ramp.

I’m not sure if this comes with one battery or two; one I think. Not sure if the instructions for the lithium batteries are very different than with the other type of batteries but I would think so. Will plan to use at least once a week, maybe twice a week. 

As far as I can tell, this will be shipped to me directly by the company and I’ll be dealing with them. This is fine with me as I have a couple of their small devices and they’re top quality.

I plan to call them and ask if I can purchase an extra warranty from them or somewhere else, as well as asking them what their specific recommendations are as far as charging. Hoping they have a local company they do business with so I have a local resource.

So far as I can tell, the batteries range from $100-$200, which I didn’t think was bad. I know that some of them have $500-$600 batteries.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde.  I've considered the ramp idea and actually have a ramp for dogs to get into the back of my SUV.  It could take the weight but I think it's too narrow.  If it'll help, I'll measure it's width.  Having this scooter is going to be very liberating....like a teen getting a driver's license.  There are so many activities that you miss when you're not fully mobile.  I think my scooter was made by Drive Medical too.

I thought your responses on the suicide thread were excellent and very thought provoking.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Aww, thank you, @Kachina624 - I appreciate it 🙂

I have a small sedan (with a fairly small trunk), so it will be closer to the ground than an SUV. Not much of anything is going to fit in the trunk but the scooter.  Also thinking of the weight, I’ve seen lots of photos where these just fit in the back seat, so I’m going to try that if the trunk is an issue. The only bad part of that is you could see it so it must have something tossed over it.

Yes, so many places I’d love to go, even shopping, that I don’t enjoy now even when I do go, because after 45 min my back is shot and I’m cranky the rest of the day until I can sit permanently. Really looking forward to taking it to the ocean - many paths with gorgeous views.

I lucked out with this price find. There are two models of this chair - one of them you have to fold manually, and one where you just have to push a button and it unfolds. I got the latter for the price of the former.

Honored Contributor

I’m glad you found something that will work for you.  HSN is very good about taking things back if need be.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I’m glad you found something that will work for you.  HSN is very good about taking things back if need be.

That’s good to know. I was just surprised that they had a far better price than I would get anywhere else, and it was a scooter I was already thinking of buying. That doesn’t happen often.