Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady, a person needs an in-person official home evaluation and a letter from their doctor stating that they need a scooter just to get from bedroom to bathroom in your house, into the kitchen to fix a sandwich, etc., before Medicare will pay for it. People (not you) in general seem to think that Medicare freely pays for scooters, but you practically have to be in end-stage MS, ALS or some other neurologic disease in order to quaify. 

I looked this up in part because my niece is always telling me I am eligible for a handicapped placard simply by virtue of being in pain when I walk much. With my medical knowledge I know that isn’t true in my state. Doctors don’t hand out Handicapped placards like candy. But she won’t be convinced. She’s sure they’ll just hand me all this stuff with a red ribbon around it, easy peasy.

Was reading on a chronic fatigue syndrome discussion board last night.  Like the govt thinks you don’t need teeth to stay alive so doesn’t pay for dental care under Medicare, their feeling is also that you really don’t ever need to leave your house, so almost no one “needs” a scooter. Quality of Life is not something the govt ever considers. Ever.

So very many people my age, as well as slightly younger and older, who fall through the cracks as far as their musculoskeletal stamina. Most don’t qualify for financial assistance. Many are 65-75 and are still ready, willing and able to go out and enjoy life. It’s not that I can easily afford this, but I felt I had to give it a try instead of just sitting home.

I had planned, after income tax time, to go to a local scooter store & investigate. But this deal seemed too good to pass up.  $300-$400 off isn’t something I could ignore on a scooter I was thinking of buying anyway at some point.

I do plan to enjoy myself, thank you :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Its going to be one of the best investments you have ever made. It will give you years of independence and freedom

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde  Its going to be one of the best investments you have ever made. It will give you years of independence and freedom

That’s definitely what I’m hoping for, @cherry 😍

Today I need to go clean out my trunk so there’s room for it. My back seat is option #2 - whichever turns out to be easiest for me.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on making this investment, @Moonchilde

See you at the aquarium one day!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Thanks @GingerPeach 🙂

I really hope it does for me...what I hope it will. Get me out of the house more and let me have more fun.

I did clean out my car to get it ready to house the scooter. It’s interesting - there don’t seem to be any FB pages or groups or any discussion forums for Scooter users that aren’t in the UK, or residing on BBS for chronic illnesses.  I have found stuff here and there, but none of it really what I’m looking for. I’ll keep looking.

Wow, they sure stick it to you for accessories. Once I decide to keep it I’ll look at a couple of things; might not need them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Electric Scooter!

[ Edited ]

@MoonchildeInteresting you would mention the Handicap Placcards. When mom passed away in July, several people asked why I didn't keep it for my own use (since I've been on Disability for 19 years). I explained I've never asked my PCP for one nor has he offered one! Thus, I returned mom's to the DMV which is the legal procedure. In the 14 years mom had one, it was used on my car and when she was with me only. (If she wasn't with me, it was placed in the glove compartment.) When I was not well enough to take her places, my son would take the Handicap Placcard and mom in his vehicle. Seldom, but it did happen. Makes you wonder about the ethics of other people, doesn't it?

Ride that scooter with carefree (but safe) abandon! Be free to explore the world around you, again.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Wow!  WAY TO GO, HSN and Drive Medical!

Ordered Tuesday afternoon, arriving tomorrow, and the shipping was free.

Good thing I cleaned the car out yesterday - nick of time. I’ll barely have time to read manuals & watch videos.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Good for you!  I mean that sincerely.  I know it is pricey and will cut into the budget however I am hopeful that you will get more 'life' back than what you are paying into it.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Wow!  WAY TO GO, HSN and Drive Medical!

Ordered Tuesday afternoon, arriving tomorrow, and the shipping was free.

Good thing I cleaned the car out yesterday - nick of time. I’ll barely have time to read manuals & watch videos.

Wonderful news @Moonchilde! Now you can get back to taking some of those beautiful photos you sometimes have posted in the past. This is going to open up so much living for you...

Honored Contributor

In case anyone is curious. Mine is red, to match my car 😎. The battery sits in the floor. Mine comes with a front basket and a cup/bottle holder. I like the tiller style because it’s easier on arms & hands and very adjustable. I’ll need something for a “purse” but might not have to buy anything. Might buy another basket for the back. Will wait and see.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvtWhW00bw

FABAA0F0-8D5F-4C18-9F70-BAA0CA328FCD.jpeg