Honored Contributor

I’ll have to practice using it! Backing up, turning around, just turning. It is a 4-wheeler so I felt good about that vs a 3-wheeler. I’ve only ever ridden a scooter once for 5 min at the fair and at Costco. And I need to learn “scooter etiquette” or Unspoken Scooter Rules - @Kachina624 is there anything written?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I’m glad you found something that will work for you.  HSN is very good about taking things back if need be.

That’s good to know. I was just surprised that they had a far better price than I would get anywhere else, and it was a scooter I was already thinking of buying. That doesn’t happen often.

I’m really glad for you. My right leg is not recovering from the accident.  I have to be so careful about falling, you know the drill.  I may have to come up with something.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I’m glad you found something that will work for you.  HSN is very good about taking things back if need be.

That’s good to know. I was just surprised that they had a far better price than I would get anywhere else, and it was a scooter I was already thinking of buying. That doesn’t happen often.

I’m really glad for you. My right leg is not recovering from the accident.  I have to be so careful about falling, you know the drill.  I may have to come up with something.  

@Noel7

I mentioned getting a scooter to my doctor last year and he was all “Noooo! If you get one you’ll just stop walking altogether!” Other people have said the same. 

I haven’t gone anywhere really fun, or done anything day-long, for two years. So is it better for me, healthier for me, to sit home? I’ve also lost 42 lbs “sitting home”, so not walking much hasn’t caused me to gain weight. And losing weight hasn’t improved my back, nor has PT.

I still need to go into the drugstore, grocery store, doctor, etc and won’t be using the scooter for that. But going to a mall, an antique show or craft fair, or to the ocean to take a ‘walk’ - that’s when I can use the scooter.

It’s going to have a huge impact on my happiness, that’s for sure.

Honored Contributor

I get it and I’m with you.  My daughter wants to take me to new areas in the city but parking and therefore walking a long way would be an issue.  The only way I could go would be with a wheelchair.  I hate the idea but at least I could get out more often.

You need to have fun and explore, go for it. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I’ll have to practice using it! Backing up, turning around, just turning. It is a 4-wheeler so I felt good about that vs a 3-wheeler. I’ve only ever ridden a scooter once for 5 min at the fair and at Costco. And I need to learn “scooter etiquette” or Unspoken Scooter Rules - @Kachina624 is there anything written?

@Moonchilde. I've never seen anything on scooter etiquette but I read news excerpts from Great Britain and scooters there have almost a cult following.  Almost every day there's something about a scooter user doing something outrageous.  I mostly use mine to take my dogs walking.  I've only had one mishap.  I rented a scooter to use on a cruise to Alaska.  We were in downtown Juneau when I accidently dropped a wheel over a curb and turned over.  There just happened to be a city ambulance not 10ft away.  The EMTs hopped out and helped me up.  I was fine, not even a skinned knee.  Watch out for curbs.  You'll be able to take your own scooter on cruises.  I wouldn't have anything but a four wheeler as they're much more stable and do so much better on grass.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I get it and I’m with you.  My daughter wants to take me to new areas in the city but parking and therefore walking a long way would be an issue.  The only way I could go would be with a wheelchair.  I hate the idea but at least I could get out more often.

You need to have fun and explore, go for it. 

@Noel7, there are so many different types of motorized chairs for people like us - more and more people who aren’t eligible for handicapped devices or regulations out there - that there are many choices. 

There are lightweight collapsible wheelchairs, wheelchairs that are electric (not power chairs), ones you can pedal if you choose, all kinds of things - I’m surprised there are so many different things. They just come up as FB ads for me. Prices from $700 and up.  There are also the walkers with seats, around $200.

Maybe you could research your closest large medical supply business and have someone take you to look at what’s out there and get suggestions, keeping price in mind. I kept saying I was going to do that, before this kind of fell in my lap.

I know it’s very depressing not to be able to do much, believe me!

I have complimented people on their spiffy scooters I’ve seen while out and about, envious. 

I hope you and your family come up with a solution.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Moonchilde. I've never seen anything on scooter etiquette but I read news excerpts from Great Britain and scooters there have almost a cult following.  Almost every day there's something about a scooter user doing something outrageous.  I mostly use mine to take my dogs walking.  I've only had one mishap.  I rented a scooter to use on a cruise to Alaska.  We were in downtown Juneau when I accidently dropped a wheel over a curb and turned over.  There just happened to be a city ambulance not 10ft away.  The EMTs hopped out and helped me up.  I was fine, not even a skinned knee.  Watch out for curbs.  You'll be able to take your own scooter on cruises.  I wouldn't have anything but a four wheeler as they're much more stable and do so much better on grass.

@Kachina624 I was considering a 3-wheeler, but prefer 4 if it’s not too honkin’ huge, which this one isn’t, so was glad I could get the 4 wheels. Most of where I’ll be using it will have handicapped curbs or fairly flat ground, fingers crossed. There’s one place I go all the time where I’ll need to perfect turning around in or backing out of an elevator (parking garage). 

One nice thing - when it’s folded, you can pull it like a piece of luggage - so if there are hilly streets between your car and your ultimate destination, you can pull it with you to flat ground and then open it up. That’s applicable for me in one area I go all the time, and for me means I can use it more places.

Interestingly, while I’ve seen plenty of wheelchairs, I’ve never seen a single scooter inside the Aquarium, and you’d think I would have in two years. I look every time I go, too.

Going to be a learning curve!

Honored Contributor

I think this is wonderful ,and if I am ever in the postition whee I need one, I will certainly get it

I get out every single day for a bit.  It is a great lift to my spirits.

I would encourage anyone ,who thinks they might like one to try it

Esteemed Contributor

@MoonchildeSo pleased for you!  Have been this route this my mom and know what a joy it means. Have you checked into getting help financially through Medicare? Not sure if any of mom's were paid for or not. I always took her to our local scooter store (first for canes, the walker, then a spiffy wheelchair and finally a scooter). Amazing what selections are available! "Scooter etiquette" made me smile. Enjoy your excursions!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Electric Scooter!

[ Edited ]

I'm glad you're getting a scooter if you need one.  My father uses a walker but does have a wheelchair in case he needs to walk any distance.  Supposedly it's a ightweight one.  I can't get it in or out of my trunk by myself.  My sister works out all the time and is much stronger than I am, and she can barely do it.  I have a Nissan Altima.  Just make sure you can comfortably lift this on your own.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau