Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. office visit time limit?

Good news! Today they called me from the billing dept and said to disregard the invoice. I owe nothing. Said it was” coded wrong”. I will still be setting my timer next time I go....
Respected Contributor

I've never heard of a charge like that.  I don't want to be in the doctor's office any longer than I have to, so it will never be ME that is the holdup.  LOL. 

Trusted Contributor

If I got a bill like that I would explode. In my doctor's office you can only discuss 2 problems. Usually not a problem for me. If you have several issues to discuss you need to make another appointment.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Good news! Today they called me from the billing dept and said to disregard the invoice. I owe nothing. Said it was” coded wrong”. I will still be setting my timer next time I go....

@lovesrecess 

My wife worked for many years as a Medical and Dental Insurance Analyst. What she found out quickly with some doctors offices, "they got what they paid for hires".  

Her jobs were specifically to check coding to the insurance claims filed by Doctor and Dental Offices. Some Dental offices had the same tooth extracted twice, if their coding got by an analyst.

Offices that had employees that went to school, and or company classes, for understanding coding, were not who she dealt with 90+% of the time. It was the person(s) that made appointments, checked patients in, and coding. 

Can't tell you how many thousands of $$$ we were saved by her knowledge of coding. If any doctors office has no specific person(s) dealing with insurance?  The problem you mentioned, or very similar.

I am glad you got that part of your problem settled. As far as "time spent with your doctor"?  That can be a whole different "can o worms"!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:
If I got a bill like that I would explode. In my doctor's office you can only discuss 2 problems. Usually not a problem for me. If you have several issues to discuss you need to make another appointment.

@KCDiva ,

I personally don't think discussing an insurance charge "in my doctor's office" is the place to do this. No if they have an office with a specific insurance person, then that is exactly what I would do.

To discuss if with a member of the office staff in general is not something even I would do, and I am not known for being quiet, if I feel something is not right.

I do however pick my spots, and also prefer airing my complaints with someone that has the knowledge and authority to fix my problem. Otherwise I am wasting my time/their time, and possibly holding up other patients.

If it is an actual "doctor" problem, making another appointment is exactly what I did with one of my own doctors. He was new as my PCP retired after my seeing him for a few decades.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I happened to check in when a new desk person was being trained.   Her trainer told her she could book up to 38 people for each doctor in one day, but try to stick to 35.  No wonder he breezes in and breezes out.  25 minutes?  Ha !