Honored Contributor

Dr. office visit time limit?

[ Edited ]

Just got a bill from my dr. It is for $525. It was a routine follow up visit for refills. I called and they said it was because an office visit can only be 25 minutes. The dr spent 32 minutes with me, so they added the code for "extended office visit."  I told the woman that I had waited in the exam room longer than 32 minutes for the dr. No way was he there more than just a few minutes, maybe 15 at the most. I am livid. Humana rejected the entire amount....guess I will set my timer on my phone next time and when the 25 minutes alarm sounds, I will tell him his time is up!  Have you ever heard of this?

Super Contributor

Re: Dr. office visit time limit?

Confront the Doctor directly....not the staff....and if you dont get a satisfactopry answer...

SWITCH

I joined a groiup that has online RX refills and ONline chats with doctors and PA's

Love it!!

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess Are you saying that a 32 minute doctor visit for only getting refills you're being charged $525.00?  That's outrageous!

Esteemed Contributor

If you can't settle with the doctor's office for a reasonable amount....report his policy everywhere you can......a Medical Society in your area....Better Business Bureau.......

and change doctors.

(sorry I hit BOLD some how)

Esteemed Contributor

I'd call the MD office to check as to who coded the visit.  My PCP  sent out a notice to all patients that at routine follow up appointments  If you bring up a New problem than the visit would be coded as comprehensive . They suggested making a new office visit  for any new problems ... 

Honored Contributor

I would love to switch, but my dr who I had for years retired, and the new one is the only one within an hour’s drive for me.
Honored Contributor

In my case, the pharmacy contacts the doctor's office for a refill.

No one I know has ever mentioned going in for refills.  We DO take our meds in for verification at our yearly checkup.

I do keep up my annual checkups and am very healthy.

Honored Contributor

I had no new problems. The dr needs to learn to tell time. All he did was type on his iPad the entire time and then leave. I spoke with the woman in billing but she said she would have to speak to the Dr. I could get in to see the Pope sooner than I can speak directly to this dr!
Esteemed Contributor

Call the office and tell them you want to speak to the Dr.  Tell them to have him/her call you - just so they don't try billing you or the govt for one of those telephone visits.  Also mention to them you are contemplating reporting this Dr. to the medical board in your state, along with your local senator's office, but wish to have a conversation with him/her before doing so.

I would also notify the state insurance board' attorney general's office - fraud, and the state rate setting commission.

After all that I would send this Dr. a bill for $525, stating your time is valuable and I'm sure you waited for much more than 32 minutes as you spent that much time in the exam room.  

Should you decide to continue seeing this arrogant -------, make if very, very clear that you are not willing to wait in the waiting room more than 20min and not more than 10min in the exam room to see the Dr.

Honored Contributor

Sounds great but my meds are controlled and not refillable without dr seeing me personally...I have a friend who is a pharmacist and he said no way around it. Previously he had to do a telehealth visit since everyplace was shutdown. There is even a place on the prescription form that he has to sign saying I had been seen in person. They waived it for the telehealth “visit.“