Honored Contributor

The doctor asked, you friend could have said no.  That's why the doctor asked for permission.   It wouldn't have bother me at all.  What's unprofessional about it?  The hospital I work for has therapy dogs, they also let dogs visit their owners if the owner has a private room.  The dogs can even get on the bed and snuggle as long as it doesn't interfere with any equipment.  It's a proven fact that dogs help patients heal faster.  Patting a dog also relieves stress.  It's incredibly insulting to the doctor to think that saying no to the dog would upset the doctor...what?  Make her go on a killing rampage...lol

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

That is quite strange.  Some people are allergic to dogs.  Next time, your friend should bring her dog or yours and don't bother asking.  The nerve of the dr.  You were not at the vets.  HeartCat Very Happy

Allergies clearly shown in every patient's medical record.  And dog allergies are rare.  The doctor wouldn't have asked if she saw the allergy notation.  I'm sure there exam rooms that the dog is not allowed to go in.

Honored Contributor

@Day1128 wrote:

My friend is so sick she can't work or drive now. I drove her to her doctor's appt. After the appt., friend said that her doctor said she had a new dog and could the dog come in the exam room! My friend was shocked, and because she was feeling so bad and needing help, she said OK. She didn't know how the doctor would react if she said no....the nerve and lack of professionalism for a doctor to even ask that question.

Totally disagree. The doctor was, in fact, being professional by asking.

Why on earth would she (or you) think that if she said no, the doctor wouldn't treat her, or would be angry? That's absurd, IMO.

She asked because she wants to share her new dog with patients who love dogs and would love to see her new dog, but she's well aware that some of her patients wouldn't appreciate it - so she asked.

My mother's doctor got a Husky puppy and brought it to the office. My mother was ecstatic, and it made her day every time she saw the dog when she went. He even brought the dog to see her in the nursing home she eventually went to, and it made her day.

All your friend needed to do was say no. That she didn't was her decision. AFAIC, "afraid of the (doctor's) reaction" (and the inference that she would have been treated differently had she said no) is due to an overactive imagination - on her part and yours.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Day1128 wrote:

My friend is so sick she can't work or drive now. I drove her to her doctor's appt. After the appt., friend said that her doctor said she had a new dog and could the dog come in the exam room! My friend was shocked, and because she was feeling so bad and needing help, she said OK. She didn't know how the doctor would react if she said no....the nerve and lack of professionalism for a doctor to even ask that question.

Maybe it was a test.

Much like this thread.

Déjà vu, and not the good kind.

Hmmm....I hadn't thought about it, but time (and future thread topics) will tell.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Day1128 wrote:

Maybe it was a test.

Much like this thread.

Déjà vu, and not the good kind.

Hmmm....I hadn't thought about it, but time (and future thread topics) will tell.

If the dog mentioned in the doctor's office is named "Bonkers", then we'll know @MoonchildeWoman Wink

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

My sister just took my father to the doctor, and there was a woman in the waiting room with two dogs.  The woman told the receptionist that they were therapy dogs.  I love dogs but would never take one to a doctor's office. 

When my sister and my dad were in the room with the doctor, the other woman had obviously been brought to the room next to them, and one of the dogs started barking.  The doctor commented that that was a first, he'd never had a dog in his office before.

Was this woman asked to provide proof that these dogs were actually therapy dogs?!

@nana59  No, she said the receptionist didn't seem to know what to say.  I somehow find it doubtful that they were true therapy dogs though.

If there was no proof that they were therapy dogs....and who needs TWO.....then they don't belong is a doctor's office....this take your pet wherever you want has gotten out of control.....

Couldn't agree w/you more!

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs have their place and it is not in a Dr's office.  Therapy dogs are okay in a hospital where people are there for a time.   Usually in a Dr's office it is in and out in a hurry, trying to listen to what the Dr has to say and we don't need a dog to distract either us or the Dr.  I get so tired of people who think that just because they love their pet, they have to subject everyone else to it.  Just my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

I would love a dog in my Dr.'s office. I get so nervous at Dr. and Dentist offices it's unreal. I think a dog would relax me. But it doesn't seem sensible since so many people are allergic or don't care for dogs. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

For years I had an OBGYN I just loved from the first time we met.  She was a hoot.  Anyway, she had dogs and even had framed pictures of them on her desk, not to mention they walked down the aisle with her when she married the second time.  They each wore a tux!!   No matter how much she loved those dogs she would never, I mean never, bring them to work with her.  She loved horses too, even fell off one and broke her arm, she wouldn't bring her horse to work either. Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

You remind me of someone.......

@QueenDanceALot  Yeah, where is 151949 when we need her expert opinion on dogs vs medicine? 

151949 and Lilactree have been missing.

Stormy too.