Honored Contributor

Motivators to help lose the excess poundage and keep up what you do to stay healthy?

What is your motivator?  Other than good health,   do you have something that motivates you to lose weight?  Once upon a time, I felt I had a motivator, now not so much. So I'm interested in other motivators.  Good health I know, is a priority and w/o it, not much else seems to matter.  

What motivates you to keep eating correctly, to getting the exercise you can handle? 

I also wonder, what form of exercise do you do?  Run, go to a place, do you have a coach to help you along?  Or, would you do classes?  

Just curious.

Respected Contributor

Re: Motivators to help lose the excess poundage and keep up what you do to stay healthy?

When you get my age, the only motivator is good health - that's the best motivator in the world.  (Sorry - you said not to say health ).  Other than that, keeping healthy for my dogs.  Treadmill, walking, hand weights. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Motivators to help lose the excess poundage and keep up what you do to stay healthy?

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

When you get my age, the only motivator is good health - that's the best motivator in the world.  (Sorry - you said not to say health ).  Other than that, keeping healthy for my dogs.  Treadmill, walking, hand weights. 

@hoosieroriginal, yeah!  see, it's hard at this life point to see a motivator, beyond just being healthy isn't it?  That's what I mean and why I asked.  Without your health you have nothing.  Truly believe that.  So you youngsters out there, keep it up!

Respected Contributor

I go to a Weight Watchers meeting every week.  Knowing that I have to get on those scales, motivates me.  I'm competitive, so seeing how my weight loss compares to others in my group also motivates me.  I have found that this only works for me when I'm 100% committed.  First you have to get into the right mindset, then tackle the physical challenges.

Super Contributor

I am 61 and my motivators are good health and fitting into my clothes.  I do not want to have to buy many new clothes at this point (I recently retired) so I want to make sure I do not go up a size or two. I walk, do the treadmill and the exercise bike, and do stretches on the floor. I had breast cancer 11 years ago and appreciate every day of good health that I have now and work hard to stay cancer free.

Honored Contributor

I got deadly serious after my doctor threaten cholesterol meds.  I hate meds and I need to stay healthy.  No one is here to take care of me in my old age.  No kids.  

But I will say I do enjoy classes at the gym.  It's a routine/habit and the teachers sometimes talk about you if you don't show up regularly so it's good not to disappoint.  Plus you can make friends or just do your own thing.  I've done both.  

Change the time you go too.  I found I am much more faithful going in the morning before work.  If I wasn't working I'd be very happy later at night watching the night shows as I worked out.  

You can also change your classes too.  I was a big Ride person but ran into teachers I wasn't fond of so I do my own biking on the floor with disco or 80s music on my Ipod.  Motivates me everytime.  I'll go back someday when I get tired of being solo.

Top tip:  Find something you love and then change it when it gets boring.  I love to hike and I have a very nice park right by my home.  I change up how I walk the trails and what side I walk.  I really enjoy it.

I also have started looking into community classes.  They cater more to the 50 plus crowd which I'm not quite there yet but there are some classes like water aerobics I would be eligible to join.  I did that back in the day and I was thinking of getting back into it.  

Find what you like and you'll have no problem sticking to it.  Whether it's a walk after dinner or videos at home, try everything and something will catch your interest eventually.  And the best thing is it all counts.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

What is your motivator?  Other than good health,   do you have something that motivates you to lose weight?  Once upon a time, I felt I had a motivator, now not so much. So I'm interested in other motivators.  Good health I know, is a priority and w/o it, not much else seems to matter.  

What motivates you to keep eating correctly, to getting the exercise you can handle? 

I also wonder, what form of exercise do you do?  Run, go to a place, do you have a coach to help you along?  Or, would you do classes?  

Just curious.

Other than to improve my health, I am motivated to NOT go up & size and have to buy bigger clothing.   It's not a vanity thing, it's a comfort thing.   I have a set wardrobe, I don't want to wear tight, uncomfortable clothing.   

That's a huge motivator for me.    Maybe when I'm retired I won't care.

I don't exercise.   I should but I just try to stay active, try to stay off the couch.   I still do my own yardwork, work full time.    Play with the toddler grands.   I'm active.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Pets can be a great motivator.    Or taking care of anyone on a regular basis.   When you know someone is or could be counting on you, I know it keeps me straight!

Respected Contributor

Been thinking about this question this morning and another motivator I must say for me was having an overweight sister all my life.  I saw how it limited her lifestyle.  When we would take our kids to the zoo or to a theme park, she would have to sit and wait for us to make our rounds. Later she became diabetic and still does not take care of it with meds.  I knew I didn't want my life to go in that direction.  Thoughout my life I have always taken step aerobics, Jazzercize, tap lessons - gone to gyms.  It's always been in the back of my mind that I don't want that for my life. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Other than health???...LOL  At 66, HEALTH is my biggest motivator to keep my weight down and to move as much as I can.  I certainly don't care how I look in my bathing suit....lol   I've carried some extra pounds for much of my adult life and when I dieted, the primrary reason was always to get my blood pressure down.  After that, it was to be in that size 10 size range that I liked to be in.  My dream size.  When I hit my 50's I didn't care about that anymore.  I'm ok being a size 12 top, 14 bottom.  I look good for a broad my age...lol    It's all about staying fit and healthy now.  It's not hard for me, I know how to eat for my body.  Veggies, fruits, lean proteins and one day a week, I eat absolutely anything I want to eat.  I also drink tons of water everyday.   I walk a couple of mornings a week but I'd like to do it every day.  That's hard because I'm still working.