Valued Contributor

My friend is so sick she can't work or drive now. I drove her to her doctor's appt. After the appt., friend said that her doctor said she had a new dog and could the dog come in the exam room! My friend was shocked, and because she was feeling so bad and needing help, she said OK. She didn't know how the doctor would react if she said no....the nerve and lack of professionalism for a doctor to even ask that question.

Esteemed Contributor
My dog was a therapy dog at the local hospital visiting patients. They loved it.
Esteemed Contributor

I'd have no problem with a dog in the room.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs and doctors

[ Edited ]

I guess I'm a little thick.  Are you saying that the doctor has a new dog and wanted to bring it into the exam room?  A bit strange, but I guess if the doctor didn't think it was a problem in any way it wouldn't be that big a deal to me. I adore dogs, so I guess I am an oddity here. But then all my docs are neighbors and we know each other pretty well.

Wishing good health to return to your friend. God bless her.

Respected Contributor

If I weren't so allergic, I'd love to have the dog in the room!  Being allergic, I wouldn't want to be in the room where the dog had been... unless it's a poodle, which I'm not allergic to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This kinda/sorta sounds eerily familiar.

There was a dog-doctor thread originated couple months ago:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Dog-in-the-doctor-s-office/m-p/3754774/highlight/true#M103790

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition wrote:
My dog was a therapy dog at the local hospital visiting patients. They loved it.

That's wonderful @qvcaddition! Therapy dogs are a great addition to hospitals, nursing homes, clinics etc. ❤️

I wonder if there's more to the OP's Friend's story than we know? I think we don't know the whole story. Maybe the doctor thought the dog would have a calming therapeutic effect for her patient?It wouldn't have bothered me. Jmho. 

Honored Contributor

That is quite strange.  Some people are allergic to dogs.  Next time, your friend should bring her dog or yours and don't bother asking.  The nerve of the dr.  You were not at the vets.  HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

You remind me of someone.......

Respected Contributor

It sounds to me like she's training it to be a therapy dog or it already is one. If I was super sick and went to the doctor and a dog came in the room I would immediately feel a bit at ease and better. I believe that is what was happening in this situation. Something seems to be missing in this story and I wonder if it's just dog haters didn't want a therapy dog around them?