Super Contributor

Does anyone buy RX from Canada?

My husband takes Eliquis, and it is so expensive, and the new year brings a huge deductible. I looked at buying from pharmacies in Canada, and there is  Pharmacy Association that monitors the individual pharmacies. Do any of you buy from Canada? And if so, are you pleased with it? Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone buy RX from Canada?

Yes for years - very satisfactory.  Just one med for sinus infection.  Believe iit's now ok'd by our government to buy from Canada - laws & rules changed.

Esteemed Contributor

@nanny24 

I don't.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Not currently, but I have in the past.

Canadian pharmacies do not accept American insurance plans. Your doctor needs to send a fax for the 'script to your selected pharmacy. The exchange rate is very good right now so make sure you are getting pricing in USD. 

My dr has an established relationship with one pharmacy. He wanted to try Synvisc on my arthritic knee. In Canada, you can buy 1 single vial. In the USA it's only sold in 3 dose packages.

You can legally import up to a 90 day supply of medications per person. They will not fill requests for Scheduled Drugs, narcotics, opiods, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24 Decades ago when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, metformin was fairly spendy. I saw lots of online info about Canadian pharmacies and asked my doc about getting it from Canada. She said "wink wink I can't recommend it but it's been around so long that it's fine to get it there."

I faxed a copy of my Rx and my info page from the website and ordered it from Canada for 2 years, when the U.S. price dropped dramatically.

That was my own experience. 

Contributor

I purchase a prescription in Canada and have been doing so for several years..I can't afford the price in the states.  I have to order refills 3-4 weeks in advance for shipping, but they take a hard-copy script from my MD via upload and then I mail it in.  Just started doing this for my husband as well.  We've not had any problems and are very pleased with the pricing.  

Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I have bought prescription drugs from Canada.  Their pharmacies are closely regulated just like ours.  You must have a prescription which you can fax or mail.  There is no more risk than getting your drugs in the US.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

For those that buy, would you tell me the name of the pharmacy you use? Also, do you use RX insurance? That would mean having a deductible, and that defeats my purpose. Thank you for your help. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

For those that buy, would you tell me the name of the pharmacy you use? Also, do you use RX insurance? That would mean having a deductible, and that defeats my purpose. Thank you for your help. Smiley Happy

I buy from a company in Canada called MediSave. I send in a script, and they tell me the total, and I send a check, because I only have Discover Credit Card, and they don't accept that card. It's easier if you have a card they accept, if not they have to check your bank to see if your check is good, takes longer. You will find all meds they have listed and the price, you might take a look and see what they have. I have delt about 10 years , very satisfied with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@nanny24 

I bought insulin pens for my cat for many years from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada.  It was the Solastar pens and 1/2 price what I would pay in the US.  I'm sure you can Google their name/contact.

They had great customer service and were always patient and polite.  I loved talking to them!

Because it was for kitty, no insurance involved, but I don't think they did insurance anyway.  You will have to ask.

The cheaper cost made it pointless.