Super Contributor

I have to drink the gallon.  Somebody tell me what could make it easier.

Also, I'm having the colonoscopy in the hospital this time and not the Clinic, which makes me very afraid.  I just need to get done with the prep, and the procedure and get on with my life.  Please please please give me some tips on how to drink so much liquid so fast!  Thank you

Honored Contributor

Re: tips for colonoscopy prep

Make sure it is COLD COLD COLD!   Then drink each portion with a straw....aimed at your back throat....suck it down FAST. No taste that way....worked for me!

Contributor

I drink a full glass, give it a little time, then another full glass, give it a little time, until the gallon of liquid is gone.  Also, with every glass, remind myself that this process will help the doctor see any polyps in the colon, so they can be removed. It's a good thing.  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach 

The drinking of the stuff is the worst part, so once you do that, no worries!  Yes, I know -- I always get very nervous, too.  Unfortunately, I have no tips to make it easier but just swig it down quickly and try to put your mind on something else while you are doing it.  Play some music you like and maybe have a good book handy and try to distract yourself as muh as possible.  Maybe chew on a piece of mint gum for a tiny bit to clear the taste out of your mouth.  It's not very pleasant but thankfully we only have to do it every 5 years, right?  Hang in there -- you can do it!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

What I found worked well for me was I started the prep as early as was allowed and sipped on it for hours and hours.  I know it makes you feel so full but you'll get through it.

There really is no easy way out, just put your mind to it and it will be over before you know it.  Good luck, I have mine in December Smiley Sad  

Regular Contributor

Great advice from everyone, especially drinking the prep cold which I prepare and put in the fridge hours before.  I go for it with the first batch then drink/sip the rest.  In between I drink a clear chicken broth as I prefer savory to sweet and then I drink flavored water.  The prep with Gatorade I find is the best but different doctors do prep differently.

I have always had mine done in hospital and I've always experienced friendly staff who do this all day every day and have reassuring conversation with a little humor thrown in! My mum died of colon cancer (she never had a colonoscopy) so I believe the day and a half is worth all the effort.  I've had one four times and find it's better if you get an early appointment if you are lucky.  Waiting until the afternoon I want to eat a horse lol.  Good luck, you will do great.

Trusted Contributor

@Helen Bach   If you have the time, read this funny article by Dave Barry about his colonoscopy.

Good Luck with your prep.

https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal  @Helen Bach   As well, I find it really helps to follow the bland diet starting 3-4 days prior to taking your prep. A much lighter diet with just liquids 1.5 to 2 days just prior to is so much easier on your system. 

New Contributor

As someone who has to get a colonoscopy annually, I feel your pain.  I usually eat light 2-3 days prior to starting the prep and it makes things go much easier.  In my experience eating up until the last moment before the day you start your prep makes the prep more difficult.  Eat light, drink the prep cold and through a straw!  Much good luck to you!

Super Contributor

I will jump in this too!  The worst part of a colonoscopy is prior to the first one because you don't know what to expect!  Drink cold one glass at a time,  gulp down and don't even try to taste it on purpose!  The worst part is tasting it and smelling it!  After that it's roses!  One of the comments was to use a straw which I admit sounds like a good idea!   My first colonoscopy was done in a hospital!  Before that I was so nervous because I thought I was going to be awake when they did it UNTIL a coworker told me that you are asleep!  So you go first into a room, put your hospital gown on, then lie down for they can get you ready to sleep and the next thing, you wake up!  You are only in there for a couple of hours!  And those couple of hours involve any paperwork, changes in clothing, waiting for your "turn", the colonoscopy, waking up and waiting for your ride home!  It is actually quick and easy!  I have had four of them only because I am over 55.  Never had any problems.  Oh, I found not to eat a lot two days before I take that terrible drink!