Honored Contributor

Re: Does a CAT Scan Usually Require Barium?

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I have an allergic reaction to it so I ask to have the scan done without it.

They usually don't fuss as they don't want the complications of a reaction.

NAT:  Yes, death is a complicated reaction.

Honored Contributor

Less than a month ago I had to have a CT Scan of my abdomen.  Mine was "without contrast" so all that meant was that I didn't have to have an IV of  contrast material.

I did have to drink a small 8oz bottle of barium that I was given that morning when I arrived to the hospital.  I had 15 minutes to drink it before they started the test.   Mine was berry flavored and really wasn't bad at all. 

Respected Contributor

If you have an allergy to contrast dye you should not be injected or consume anything placed into your body which may have materials you are allergic to.

Someone I know had no idea he was allergic to  contrast dye, and had a scan with contrast and almost died of anaphalaxis.

Best to know before you go.

Esteemed Contributor

It can be ordered without contrast.

Trusted Contributor

@adoreqvc wrote:

If you have an allergy to contrast dye you should not be injected or consume anything placed into your body which may have materials you are allergic to.

Someone I know had no idea he was allergic to  contrast dye, and had a scan with contrast and almost died of anaphalaxis.

Best to know before you go.

This is true.

Whenever I've been injected with dye, I've been asked beforehand if I'm allergic to any dyes/have had any allergic reactions before as a precaution, just to be sure.

I don't have problems with the dyes.

You are correct-without contrast would mean either an oral solution/liquid or something that would be injected.

Respected Contributor

Update:  I had the CAT scan with the barium and contrast dye.  My doctor said it was a more effective test with both.  It was no big deal.  The CAT scan only took about 15 minutes total and wasn't uncomfortable.  The barium caused diarrhea when I got home.  I had no ill effects from the dye.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Update:  I had the CAT scan with the barium and contrast dye.  My doctor said it was a more effective test with both.  It was no big deal.  The CAT scan only took about 15 minutes total and wasn't uncomfortable.  The barium caused diarrhea when I got home.  I had no ill effects from the dye.

That's a new one to me. Glad it was easy for you and it wasn't one that takes a whole lot of time. Did they give you the results?

I have had barium tests, but never with a CAT Scan. I had barium testing for swallowing issues but that was many, many years ago. It was not any type of CAT Scan.

Also been the barium enema route, and that was a fun time. It was a race to see if I would make it to the stool fast enough. I did, but I was told many do not.

Gonna ask my Gastro doc my next visit about this type of CAT Scan and see what's up with getting both barium and contrasting for the same scan. I am always interested in things I have not heard about pertaining to procedures I have had many times.

Nice of you to give your update. Best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Thanks, John!  No results yet!  I agree with you that they are almost crossing the line when asking the patient to do two tests at once!!!

Respected Contributor

Update: The results of my CAT scan were negative.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Update: The results of my CAT scan were negative.

What great news? I am very happy for you?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)