Super Contributor

anyone else with multiple sclerosis?

I am just wondering how to get aerobic exercise when I am unable to walk?

I can do simple yoga or pilates, but I want to pour sweat/loose weight.

Suggestions, advise or a simple "hi!" are very welcome.  Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: anyone else with multiple sclerosis?

Hi Helen -   my beautiful granddaughter was diagnosed with ms 3 years ago.  Thankfully she is still able to exercise and run.

Maybe you should try something like chair yoga or chair exercises.  I cannot at the moment do aerobic exercises due to mini stroke but wanted to do something - so tried chair yoga then the chair exercise class and they are both really good workouts and something Inwould never have considered in the past.

Hope this may help you take good care.

Honored Contributor

My oldest sister was diagnosed with it about 12 years ago.  I was with her when she was diagnosed with it.  I took her to the Drs and she lived with me for awhile.

An old boyfriend I found out has it.  He is wheelchair bound.  He's on facebook and just said he went this week to NIH and was starting on something that had a good chance of helping him.

Meredith Viera's husband (Richard) has had it for many years.  She was just talking about it the past few weeks.  People always ask about him.  If you are interested in some inspiration I understand his books (I think that) are able to help people, as I understand he has a very positive attitude.

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach

Helen I have zero advice for you but wanted to say Hello :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I don't have an answer but could your doctor help you with this?  Perhaps a few sessions at a rehab center to show you what to do?

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach

If you want to sweat, how about a sauna?

Honored Contributor

There are programs I know in our area that help people who don't have the money to spend on health clubs.  They donate a certain number of hours so that people who's health can improved can go to work out in the water.

Working in the water is better with less resistance.

Super Contributor

any kind of heat knocks the MS into high gear, so saunas, hot tubs, vacationing in the desert, or laying out on a tropical beach ...all OUT!  booo

Woman Very Happy HI GALS AND GUYS!

I have all Meredith's husband's books, as well as Squiggy and Terri Garr's

Honored Contributor

A loud hello and a big hug to you.  I don't know too much about it.  Would water aerobics help?  I know you can get over heated in a pool, but then you could just stop and do a cool down.  I hope someone will be able to help you out!

Esteemed Contributor

My barre class at the Y makes accommodations for those who cannot walk by using the TRX straps when standing is required.  They also provide a one-on-one trainer for those using the straps.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!