Regular Contributor

Re: anyone else with multiple sclerosis?

Hi Helen! I was diagnosed one year ago and wish I had a useful suggestion for you. I love that you want to exercise. Are there ever periods when you can walk?

Honored Contributor

Would you be able to use a recumbent bicycle?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I wish I had some helpful suggestions for you, but perhaps your doctor could give you a script for some PT sessions.  I have a great respect for physical therapy, and nowadays there are PTs who have expertise in varying fields.  When I had severe pelvic pain issues, my sessions with a PT specializing in these issues were very helpful.  And it was great to have a series of exercises tailored to my specific needs.

I wish you all the best and hope you will keep us updated on how you are doing.

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach

Good evening!

I'm a HUGE proponent of a plant-based diet.   

What does that have to do with exercise you might ask.

Since MS is an autoimmune disease, food can play such a big part in the patient's overall health.   Altering the diet can help lose weight...though even if slim/trim, food can still wreak havoc on the system with MS.   Eating a low fat whole foods plant based diet can help relieve the symptoms of any auto immune disease...including MS.

I encourage you to spend some time reading about the (plant-based) McDougall Diet.   This link will give you lots of info & research...including testimonials from those which were at wit's end, needing a solution.  

Change of diet is such an easy experiment.  Try adhering to Dr. McDougall's diet (free info on website) for several months...and see if it makes a difference.  It's a cheap, easy way to see if this helps.  I realize you were asking about exercise with MS...but it all dovetails with each other.  Clean up the diet, start to feel better & movement will follow.  

If you have questions, just write back.  Good luck!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/medical-topics/multiple-scler...

Honored Contributor

I was diagnosed with MS in 1992.  Think I probably had it before then because of the optic neuritis but formally diagnosed in 1992.  I have never heard of an MS person who did well when they were hot.  They are unable to tolerate heat.  You need to contact professionals about the exercises you need to employ.  My doctor instructed me in therapists to engage and even so, my DIL, who has a doctorate in the area of PT/OT, advised me to seek someone who was not subjective but could be objective and once that occurred my DIL evaluated me but she much preferred someone with that level of specificity direct my exercises and just let her keep me under her evaluation.  I advise the same for you.  Sweating is a horrible, horrible thing for an MS patient.  The diseases progresses rapidly with sweating.

Respected Contributor

Sidsmom so very glad you offered this advice. I know someone who just found out they have MS and are very confused as to what to do, how much to do, what to look forward to happening, what to eat, what to do just in general with life with MS. I will go to the site that you put on here and read about every thing. I am trying to help this person but I must say I know very little about MS. But I guess I will be learning. Helen how long have you know about your MS? I hope that you are doing well.  I also know that sweating comes with this but I didn't know it made it worse. thank you for any information.

Honored Contributor

@cater wrote:

Sidsmom so very glad you offered this advice. I know someone who just found out they have MS and are very confused as to what to do, how much to do, what to look forward to happening, what to eat, what to do just in general with life with MS. I will go to the site that you put on here and read about every thing. I am trying to help this person but I must say I know very little about MS. But I guess I will be learning. Helen how long have you know about your MS? I hope that you are doing well.  I also know that sweating comes with this but I didn't know it made it worse. thank you for any information.

@cater

You're welcome! Thank you for sharing this free information to your friend.
I truly believe in the adage, "Knowledge is Power."

The most common denominator humans have is nutrition/food,
but the least studied topic in medical school is nutrition/food.

Only a small % of doctors have made that Health-Food connection.

Dr. McDougall's message has been consistent since the 70's...really most of the plant based messages will be the same. No animal products (no meat, eggs, dairy), no added oils, little/no processed foods, lots of starches/grains (potatoes, rice, corn, etc) for satiation & veg/fruit.

If Dr. McDougall isn't your 'style', then...
-) Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn
-) Dr. T. Colin Campbell
-) Dr. Neal Barnard
-) Dr. Dean Ornish
-) Dr. Pam Popper
-) Jeff Novick, MS RD
-) PCRM.org

All of the doctors will have narrative books, as well as cook books. PCRM.org (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) is another website to get started.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have truly been diagnosed by oligoclonal bands and MRI with MS, you can join the MS Society. In fact, you will be invited to and all the information that is fit to read will be mailed to you via email and snail mail frequently.  You will be encouraged to eat properly but not to buy into the Gupta and guru type diets and voo doo.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was dx'd about 8 years ago after years of trying to get docs and my family to listen to me. I'm an RN with over 30 yrs. experience and just new something more than.....getting older, fibro, arthritis or a couple bad ortho injuries was at play. 

At first they told me RR type...with optic neuritis and peripheral neuropathy. Then later was told PP type. That the fribromyalgia I was dx'd with many years earlier was probably the start of a more progressed MS. I also have Chrons which is autoimmune. 

To the OP~My exercise of choice although I haven't been in months due to issues with the Crohns,  is swimming. If you can find an indoor pool and better yet one with a therapy pool; it's a fantastic form of exercise. And believe me you can get quite a workout using the water weights and other exercises for swim therapy. 

@ SIDSMOM~Thanks for the nutritional info. I will definitely look at the resources you gave! Right now my diet is vegetarian and mostly Greek yogurt, fruit, protein shakes and bars. Some fish if I'm able to. But with the meds they have me on, I'm never really hungry! 

@Cator~I have always had a heat issue. It's quite embarrassing at times, depending on the people you're around and the occasion. People think they are being helpful by pointing it out to me...as if I'm not already sensitive to it!

I'm m glad to have found this thread. MS is such an isolating disease. Knowing there are others here to talk to means a lot to me. Im not one for support groups but do see a counselor from time to time. It's a constant battle. 💛

Honored Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:

I was dx'd about 8 years ago after years of trying to get docs and my family to listen to me. I'm an RN with over 30 yrs. experience and just new something more than.....getting older, fibro, arthritis or a couple bad ortho injuries was at play. 

At first they told me RR type...with optic neuritis and peripheral neuropathy. Then later was told PP type. That the fribromyalgia I was dx'd with many years earlier was probably the start of a more progressed MS. I also have Chrons which is autoimmune. 

To the OP~My exercise of choice although I haven't been in months due to issues with the Crohns,  is swimming. If you can find an indoor pool and better yet one with a therapy pool; it's a fantastic form of exercise. And believe me you can get quite a workout using the water weights and other exercises for swim therapy. 

@ SIDSMOM~Thanks for the nutritional info. I will definitely look at the resources you gave! Right now my diet is vegetarian and mostly Greek yogurt, fruit, protein shakes and bars. Some fish if I'm able to. But with the meds they have me on, I'm never really hungry! 

@Cator~I have always had a heat issue. It's quite embarrassing at times, depending on the people you're around and the occasion. People think they are being helpful by pointing it out to me...as if I'm not already sensitive to it!

I'm m glad to have found this thread. MS is such an isolating disease. Knowing there are others here to talk to means a lot to me. Im not one for support groups but do see a counselor from time to time. It's a constant battle. 💛

I disagree that it is an isolating disease.  When I was first diagnosed, I listened to every know-it-all and attended a support group, curled up in a bundle and saw therapists, considered suicide.  

Then I returned to my religion, quit all that whining, took charge of my life, prayed about my place in life, took at the methylprednisolone offered, sought the guidance through the MS society and NIH, started on beta intereron before it was even considered by insurance companies a treatment, got a second mortgage on my house to pay for it.

Subsequently, with God's help and the help of those who now wanted to help meonce I quit complaining and started looking forward, I was walking with a walker, which then extended to a cane, and now I walk unassisted in most situations.  

Two years later, I started growing roses and came to grow about 500 which I tended with the help of my husband and a delightful gardener.  I traveled extensively because I feared the day would come when all travel would be limited.  

I became president of my local rose society, I wrote articles for ARS and the heritage rose foundation, joined an international OGR society of which I am still a member and though today I am unable to care for my roses due to the osteoporosis and spinal stenosis, I still am active.  

I belong to several community civic and social groups, teach Sunday School and try to visit shut-ins, hospital and nursing home patients, do inspirational speaking, and I see how very fortunate I am to have MS which can be controlled (altho9ugh it cannot be cured), to have spinal stenosis which is heped by pushing shopping carts, to have treatment of drugs such as Reclast for osteoporosis and many various treatments for asthma although I still have many nights of difficulty breathing, and I am thankful because there are more people out there with far worse maladies.  It could be that I die in my sleep of asthma or pulmonary edema, a heart attack, or I could have an MVA which would render me mindless and/or paralyzed, It could be that a footdrop could return tonight, that I might develop such  disabling paralsysis that I might not be able to walk tomorrow, that my urine and fecal incontinence become disabling once again, that I have peripheral neuropathy to the point of needing toe or foot removal, but for today, I live with the residual of optic neuritis, the daily of asthma inhalers, some slight incontinence of both bowel and urine for which I use  pads and Depends, the occasional need to use a cane and rare use of pain medicines but I am so blessed to say that my condition is not isolating.  Praise God Almighty that I have seen what is really isolating, what is really disabling to the point of wheelchair and bedridden, that I am still able to write, to read and hear and to share the place I was 20-25 years ago to the place I am now and there is no comparison. Just because you have MS does not mean you have to check out of life, be thankful there is treatment for it now.  There was a time when there was not and there was a time when doctors considered it a mental disease and did not even recognize it as medical.  Give thanks, get up and give yourself a pat on the back for recognizing you still have a lot of living to do.