Respected Contributor

Re: Does a CAT Scan Usually Require Barium?

It depends on what they are doing and possibly where it's being done. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

My gastroenterologist said I need a CAT scan for abdominal cramps.  He mentioned the dye, but didn't talk about barium.  I called his office to ask him, but he didn't call back.  Now I have to wait until next week.  Do CAT scans usually require that you swallow barium?  Or do they just inject a dye into the veins?

I've had more CAT scans than I can remember. Some were contrasting Scans, including Nuclear, and others were the Scan only. 

The only Scans I have had where I swallowed anything were called VQ Scans, that is what found the PE I had on 2 different occasions. There I swallowed some type of, I believe, Nuclear material.

For the contrasting Scans the contrast material was put in via an IV. Those have been my experiences with my CAT and VQ Scans.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I've never had to swallow anything as all of mine were done by painless IV.

Valued Contributor

Every CAT scan I've had required barium and IV contrast. The barium was no big deal to drink (unlike years ago when it wasn't flavored)---I've had the mocha and banana flavored ones--not too bad to get down.

It might depend on what your doctor is focusing on---mine was for digestive issues years ago--but in the last four years, I have the scans for uterine cancer recurrences.

As another poster mentioned, you must drink a lot of water to flush everything out of your system. Barium used to constipate me--now it does the opposite-----so I go right home after the scan. The radiology techs will explain it all to you once you arrive for your scan---Good Luck!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

John,I am thinking you had GI bleeding scans ,which are totally different from CAT scans.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much, everyone!  I sure do appreciate your time and information!!!  I think I may need another kind of drink!!!   pouring drink.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

John,I am thinking you had GI bleeding scans ,which are totally different from CAT scans.

I was in the hospital 4 different times for a total of over 9 weeks. This was for a bleeding Right Colon. I had zero CAT Scans during any of those very long in-patient stays.

What I did have during those weeks was over 11 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies. I also swallowed the Camera Pill that took over 6,ooo pictures of my colon.

They could not find the part of my Right Colon that was bleeding. No CAT Scans during that time. Also had a Full Body Nuclear Scan, which took over 2 hours to complete.

The VQ Scans were done specifically to look for Lung Blood Clot(PE), and 2 out of the 4 of those Scans found PE. The CAT Scans I have had were for nodules on a Kidney,along with Ultrasound Scans. Also had CAT Scans for nodules on my Lungs, also along with Ultrasound Scans.

The Scans for my Kidney and Lungs, at the start, were every 3 months. Some were with Contrast, some were without Contrast. Also have had numerous Echocardio Scans for my heart.

Thank you for adding your comments about my Scans. I am a person that knows what the ones in any type of Radiology Testing are supposed to perform. One Scan I had to argue with that person because he wanted to do a Contrasting Scan and I told him, I don't think so. I knew exactly what type of Scan was scheduled and it was No Contrast. 

That Radiologist sought out another one and he found the order said No Contrast, and we moved on from there. Ain't anyone that is going to do a procedure on my body going to "pull the wool over my eyes", at least not while I am awake and conscious.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

John,when they are looking for where you are bleeding they do a GI bleeding scan. They inject a radioactive material that will attach to your red blood cells then do a scan to see where they light up in the scanner that is other than your blood vessels.Then they know where you are bleeding.This is a nuclear scan not a CAT scan. They are not the same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

John,when they are looking for where you are bleeding they do a GI bleeding scan. They inject a radioactive material that will attach to your red blood cells then do a scan to see where they light up in the scanner that is other than your blood vessels.Then they know where you are bleeding.This is a nuclear scan not a CAT scan. They are not the same thing.

I have explained what I had and why. My colon IS part of my GI Tract, and I do know a scan does not require drinking a gallon of Go/NuLytely.

Nuclear Scans i  also explained. My friend is the Nuclear Radiologist, she found my PE, so Nuclear Scans I do not mistake for a CAT Scan/CAT Scan with Contrasting or any of the many MRI's I have also had many times.

No confusion with me on what I have had done to this old body over the last 14 years. If there is any confusion with type or name of Scans, or any of the many types of procedures I have had performed starting back in the 1970's with my first Myelogram it is not with me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I have explained what I had and why. My colon IS part of my GI Tract, and I do know a scan does not require drinking a gallon of Go/NuLytely.

hckynut(john)

************************************************************************************************

The only correction here is Nu/GoLytely.  Sorry - but I didn't want anyone to buy the wrong stuff.......