Trusted Contributor

I have to laugh.  When I go to a doctor (and not for a physical), it amazes me that all they do is take your blood pressure and pulse.  They never take your temperature or do other exams when you come in not feeling well.

I'm having burning pain on my skin around my abdomen (it's not shingles) maybe due to a medication I'm taking.    All they did at the doctor was take my blood pressure.   She didn't bother to check my lungs or heart, look down my throat, in my eyes, or take my temperature.   

It just seems to me that they do so little when you come in seeking help.  She has no idea why my skin is tender and offered me no advice in dealing with it.    

Having two parents who died of 4th stage cancers, I am always skeptical of doctors and whether they are thorough and really know what to look for in examining patients.

I could get my blood pressure and pulse checked at Walmart on my own!

Honored Contributor

Who is the "They"?  At my doctor's office, a tech does a blood pressure test, weight check, and goes through my chart with me, but the doctor takes over after that to deal with whatever complaint I have or to schedule treatments or even script renewals.  In fact, my doctor takes my BP himself even though it was just done a few minutes prior.

I can't imagine going in with a burning complaint and not having something more appropriate than a BP test being done.  That's just not enough.

Honored Contributor

Who is the "They"?  At my doctor's office, a tech does a blood pressure test, weight check, and goes through my chart with me, but the doctor takes over after that to deal with whatever complaint I have or to schedule treatments or even script renewals.  In fact, my doctor takes my BP himself even though it was just done a few minutes prior.

I can't imagine going in with a burning complaint and not having something more appropriate than a BP test being done.  That's just not enough.

-------------------------------------------

Oh boy do I agree....  it certainly isn't enough and I'd recommend checking around for another physican....  I have more done on my trip to the little room with the nurses than that!  I once went in with burning on one side of my face... my doctor was thorough and said it was a skin infection, gave me a script right there and in an hour I had my medicine.  Cleared it up with ten days of meds......  

In your immediate case, I'd by-pass my physican and go directly to the local clinic (we have two clinics, not much wait and immediate service!) and hopefully they will handle you quickly and thoroughly..... good luck! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

I have to laugh.  When I go to a doctor (and not for a physical), it amazes me that all they do is take your blood pressure and pulse.  They never take your temperature or do other exams when you come in not feeling well.

I'm having burning pain on my skin around my abdomen (it's not shingles) maybe due to a medication I'm taking.    All they did at the doctor was take my blood pressure.   She didn't bother to check my lungs or heart, look down my throat, in my eyes, or take my temperature.   

It just seems to me that they do so little when you come in seeking help.  She has no idea why my skin is tender and offered me no advice in dealing with it.    

Having two parents who died of 4th stage cancers, I am always skeptical of doctors and whether they are thorough and really know what to look for in examining patients.

I could get my blood pressure and pulse checked at Walmart on my own!

And, you said what to the doctor?

Super Contributor

Re: Doctor Visits

[ Edited ]

Sorry OP... you just sat there and said nothing and walked out and complained on here?  Shame on you!!  You are reponsidble for your health!!  Be agressive with your doctor and stand up for yourself.  Ask the doctor what she is going to do about your pain.  What are the next steps to be taken?  What are any nessary tests do be done?  What is her opinion on what is causing this?  What does she thinks this is?  What are some meds that could relieve this pain that you could be taking in the mean time? Is this related to the meds you are now taking?  Do you need to change your meds?  You said nothing???   Well you live and learn....  Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

I said, "Hello doctor, my abdomen has a burning sensation but shows no obvious signs of a rash."   Was I supposed to say something else?

I asked what to do and she said it doesn't look like shingles.   

I've worked with doctors long enough to know in their own minds "they are never wrong."

Trusted Contributor

@bear wrote:

Sorry OP... you just sat there and said nothing and walked out and complained on here?  Shame on you!!  You are reponsidble for your health!!  Be agressive with your doctor and stand up for yourself.  Ask the doctor what he is going to do about your pain.  What are the next steps to be taken?  What are any nessary tests do be done?  What is his opinion on what is causing this?  What does he thinks this is?  What are some meds that could relieve this pain that you could be taking in the mean time?  You said nothing???   Well you live and learn....  Smiley Sad

I asked BEAR.   I asked... but she said she has no idea what it is.  Why the heck are you being so rude?    I'm glad you have a great doc who goes out of their way for you.  My experience with doctors is they do no wrong and most patients are hypercondriacs.

I kept asking the doctor and attributing it the steroid eye drops I'm taking but NO ONE WILL BELIEVE ME THAT THE EYE DROPS ARE CAUSING THE ISSUE!!!    So what am I supposed to do tell the doctor she's an idiot?  

I get better advice from pharmacists.   

Honored Contributor

My suggestion is to see another doctor, even if only once.  To leave  your appointment with your doctor and yourself not knowing what's going on when obviously there is something requires a different tactic.  Perhaps going into a clinic?

I had a burning sensation on one side of my face.  No rash.  I was surprised to learn that it was a skin infection!  I've never had anything like it.  But with medication for ten full days, it went away and has not returned (over 4 years).

You deserve better than not to know.... and if  your doctor doesn't know what it is ... that doesn't mean you can't get a second opinion.

Good luck!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

You need a new doctor. Simple as that.

I have never ever been to a doctor's office where a nurse hasn't taken blood pressure, temp, weight, etc before the doctor ever comes into the room.

Also, I fill out a form every visit which asks about meds, updates or changes and "THE REASON FOR THIS VISIT".

So how your doctor's visit can be so clueless and uninformative is interesting.

But I wouldn't stick around to find out what the doc's problem might be.

Just go elsewhere. I mean, by your own admission, it can't get worse.

Trusted Contributor

I have the same experience. They do not even have you disrobe anymore. I wear my clothes through the entire exam! The doctor barely touched me at all.