Respected Contributor

Just A Reminder That Mammograms Can Save Lives!

[ Edited ]

Two years ago I had just had a complete physical including a through breast exam.  I did weekly self breast exams.  I got the all clear. Two weeks later on my yearly mammogram they found breast cancer Stage II, Grade 3, a very aggressive type -triple negative - that had spread to my lymph nodes.  I would not be alive today if not for that yearly mammogram.

With only once a year, with the type of machines they have now is such a minute risk to the patient, it is hardly worth scaring someone into not getting checked out.  The breast cancer rate is very high in women, don't risk your life by the tiny risk of getting a mammogram or other method of checking for breast cancer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just A Reminder That Mammograms Can Save Lives!

Monthly self-exams, too.

Plus monthly skin self-exams (make it the same day), following dermatologists' ABC's:

A:  asymmetry

B:  borders

C:  color

D:  diameter

E:  evolving

Valued Contributor

Lannie,

Thank you for sharing your story and I hope and pray that you are doing well.  I never miss my mammo but I have 2 friends who are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue and it's one excuse after another.  I've offered to go with them.  They keep saying, 'Oh, I'll make the appointment,' but never.do.  One is a nurse and says she is too busy so I asked if she would be able to find time in her busy schedule for surgery, chemo, and radiation. Is it a bit uncomfortable?...sure it is but it's so well worth it.  Putting your head in the sand is dangerous to one's health and welfare.

I go to a state of the art breast center where everyone, even screening mammos, receive the regular mammo, digital mammo, and 3-D mammo.  If you wish, you can wait for your results and have them before leaving.  It was built by a surgeon at the hospital whose dear wife died of breast cancer and her dying wish was that her husband build a state of the art breast center so all women, regardless of ability to pay, can receive the best care available.  Anyone reading this post:  If you are due or overdue for your mammo, make the appointment NOW.  Thank you Lannie and continued good health.                                        docsgirl

Respected Contributor

My mammo just found my breast cancer-Stage 1 grade 2. Surgery in 6 days. DH and I arent sleeping well, but I'm glad I had and have my yearly mammo. No detectable lumps.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to get mine every 2-3 yrs. because there is no breast cancer history in my family.  Now I am getting them every year.  In fact, I go next week for my yearly.  I read several posts here saying they were glad they went when they did and that is what encouraged me to move it to 1 yr.  I hope op's post will do the same for someone else.  Thanks for  caring and posting this important message.

Respected Contributor

I was just diagnosed and have NO family history of breast cancer in my family also. Go figure!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no family history of any cancer except my grandfather's lung cancer in his 80s (he was in the Navy and a smoker).

But I go faithfully every year.  Maybe it's because I work for a very large company, but I know too many women in their 30s and 40s who have died of breast cancer let alone the many who found it early through mammograms and are still with us today.

It's a personal choice and you have to weigh the risk for yourself.

I do hate to hear women say that it hurt so they won't go back.  I've never had it hurt and now with 3D, the compression is even less.

And for cryin out loud it's free for practically everyone now whether you have insurance or not.  I happily pay the extra $50 now that isn't covered by insurance for the 3D pictures.  

If I don't have to go back or have an ultrasound or a needle biopsy, that $50 is well spent in my book.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread ~ it is so important!!!

@maestra ~ positive thoughts and prayers are with you ~ please keep us posted!

Respected Contributor

@maestra wrote:

My mammo just found my breast cancer-Stage 1 grade 2. Surgery in 6 days. DH and I arent sleeping well, but I'm glad I had and have my yearly mammo. No detectable lumps.

Sending you healing thoughts and prayers. You have many sisters here who are your compatriots in fighting the beast. You will win!!!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

Lannie great post. I see Maestra posted too on this very important thread. To all others my annual mammogram discovered my breast cancer stage 1 with no lymph node involvement. A physical exam did not find it. In fact the doc couldn't feel it even when he knew where it was located. Of course that diagnosis changed my life this past year considerably.  Had I not had that mammogram who knows what diagnosis and prognosis I would be receiving this year. Mammograms save lives! Em