Trusted Contributor

@bear wrote:

Sorry OP... you just sat there and said nothing and walked out and complained on here?  Shame on you!!  You are reponsidble for your health!!  Be agressive with your doctor and stand up for yourself.  Ask the doctor what she is going to do about your pain.  What are the next steps to be taken?  What are any nessary tests do be done?  What is her opinion on what is causing this?  What does she thinks this is?  What are some meds that could relieve this pain that you could be taking in the mean time? Is this related to the meds you are now taking?  Do you need to change your meds?  You said nothing???   Well you live and learn....  Smiley Sad

@terriebear   This sounds like good advice....but trust me, when I go in there and speak up and stand up....the Doctor does not like it one bit...then the doctor is on the defensive and treats you like you are difficult....typing all that info in the computer for the next Doctor to see....that WE never see.   They want the consumer to shut up, speak only when spoken too and be a good patient. Otherwise you are branded a difficult patient.

Trusted Contributor

@greamy wrote:

My Doctor spends most of the visit, typing stuff into her laptop computer, stuff about me, but hardly ever looks at me in the eyes to discuss anything. Sign of the times!

LOL! Exactly what I experience!

Respected Contributor

Every Drs visit I am weighed, pulse take, then temp, then bp by the nurse then into the Dr.  I must say my old Dr just retired so when I went last week - as I had been feeling very dizzy and head hurt - I saw a new Dr and I am so glad I did.  He had me there for over an hour - gave me a physical, heart, eyes, ears, etc. took my bp 3 times - discovered that was the problem my bp was soaring.  I have never ever had high bp before so he sent me for masses of b/w plus I had to,have a brain MRI last Friday and then see him again next week.  Also phoned in prescription for me to pick up,on way home and take 1 tablet immediately then every day for bp until I see him again for all results.  My old Dr was great but he would not - I know - have given me such a great exam - more talk and very friendly but I  know I would not have had such a thorough exam.  OP should change Drs get better treatment you should not have to be in pain.

Respected Contributor

@june22 wrote:

@bear wrote:

Sorry OP... you just sat there and said nothing and walked out and complained on here?  Shame on you!!  You are reponsidble for your health!!  Be agressive with your doctor and stand up for yourself.  Ask the doctor what she is going to do about your pain.  What are the next steps to be taken?  What are any nessary tests do be done?  What is her opinion on what is causing this?  What does she thinks this is?  What are some meds that could relieve this pain that you could be taking in the mean time? Is this related to the meds you are now taking?  Do you need to change your meds?  You said nothing???   Well you live and learn....  Smiley Sad

@terriebear   This sounds like good advice....but trust me, when I go in there and speak up and stand up....the Doctor does not like it one bit...then the doctor is on the defensive and treats you like you are difficult....typing all that info in the computer for the next Doctor to see....that WE never see.   They want the consumer to shut up, speak only when spoken too and be a good patient. Otherwise you are branded a difficult patient.

Yes, and the other problem is you're not feeling well to start with and by the time you drive there, wait however long to see them, the last thing you feel like doing is showing your rear end. I'm no pushover but there are times when I don't have the energy to deal with them. I change doctors. You can usually tell that they aren't going to be a good fit.  Luckily I'm in a city with a ton of doctors.  I wouldn't go back to that allergist if you paid me to. I did get a survey form in the mail regarding my experience with her so I filled it out and returned it pronto. 

Frequent Contributor

greamy & June -  that is what I get from my new Dr & I'm determined to find a new PCP.  I recently went in with a sinus infection & w/o even looking at me, he gave me a script for an antibiotic.    I had to return sicker than the 1st.time & he asked if I was depressed before saying he wouldn't try a different med !!!!!!    Depressed?   With a puffy face, swollen cheek, no voice & total congestion!   Been asking around for a new PCP. 

OP-  I am truly sorry for your predicament.    I hope you find an answer soon with a medical professional who really cares.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

@june22 wrote:

I have the same experience. They do not even have you disrobe anymore. I wear my clothes through the entire exam! The doctor barely touched me at all. 

My DH's doctor has never in 10 years touched him! NEVER laid a finger on him! I JUST found this out and was shocked. All he ever does is blood testing....never even listened to his heart once!  I'm insisting he get a new primary care doctor....I think this one is a total quack.

The first time I went to a dermatologist, I needed to have these marks on the insides of my arm looked at.  He came in, walked across the room, sat down, asked me what was wrong, pointed to my arms and he said, "are you taking any medication?"  Is told him what it was, he said, "stop taking it it will go away in about a month" and then he left.

The EOB said he charged $278.   LOL  It's good to be him!

I went to him for several years after that for my cystic acne and I liked afternoon appointments so that I could leave work early.  I can't tell you how many times his office would call to see if I could come in earlier.  I would come in and before I could get dressed and go to the front desk, he was already on the golf course.  Smiley Very Happy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@june22 wrote:

@bear wrote:

This is very true.  My uncle is a retired microbiologist and took care of both of his parents until their death through all of their heart disease.  He is very well versed in mediciine in general and heart disease specifically.  His heart doctor doesn't like when he questions things and also continually blows off his concerns and physical symptoms.

My mother and I have told him to find a new doctor but he refuses.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@surfk wrote:

@june22 wrote:

I have the same experience. They do not even have you disrobe anymore. I wear my clothes through the entire exam! The doctor barely touched me at all. 

That's rather standard though these days. Most doctors don't much touch a lot of patients. Although mine always does. Not that I'm boasting or anything. lol

Seriously, though, my docs never do the bp or temp stuff (the nurse or tech does that beforehand). But they usually listen to my heart and lungs.

But its none of the "Strip down!!!" of the old days when people had to go naked just for an achy kneecap. Even back then I highly doubt total nudity was required.

But ya get enough sexual harassment suits sent to your malpractice attorneys and you learn to check the toes without the patient needing be topless, I suppose.

Most routine doctoring is done through ordering up blood work anyway. Its how so many doctors do things today. Let the lab tell them what's wrong as they don't sometimes even know where to start looking.

Or in the case of a rash, all they really can do is give a prescription for a cortisone cream and await blood results to see what might be the cause.

(Marcus Welby, MD was only a t.v. show, you know).

That sounds crazy .... why would anyone needlessly take off all their clothes ... for anyone?     Doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, OP, if you didn't like the job a mechanic did on your car, you'd get a new mechanic.     Same with doctors .... I don't need my doctor to be Mr Personality, I just need them to be COMPETENT.

Super Contributor

I just had a physical exam and the doctor barely looked at me.   She held the stethoscope to my belly and put it on my leather belt of my pants.   Really?   How can you hear inside on top of the belt?

I had to ask her to look at my back as I thought I had a suspicious mole.   I used to have a great doctor that checked me head to toe.    He even did the reflex check with my knee at my physicals..  He'd also ask me a lot of questions to see how I've been feeling.

I had a sore inside my ear that keeps bleeding when I touch it.    She looked right into  my ear and said nothing about it.   I actually forgot to mention it.   Gone are the days that the doctors would assess you and alert you to anything they found suspicious.

I just couldn't get over her listening into my belt.   

Esteemed Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

I said, "Hello doctor, my abdomen has a burning sensation but shows no obvious signs of a rash."   Was I supposed to say something else?

I asked what to do and she said it doesn't look like shingles.   

I've worked with doctors long enough to know in their own minds "they are never wrong."

But, your doctor's response to you was inadequate!  I had worked with them 50 years, some bad, some good, some with lousy bedside manners but thorough.  Your complaint warrants investigation....often, people get burning before a shingles rash and if related to your med, you should know.  I would have probed further and asked "what is your opinion".....a blood count....something or a referral to someone else