Honored Contributor

Do You Track Your Daily Water Intake?

Have been drinking 2 liters a water a day since the New Year because I always hear that most people don't drink as much as they should. Just wondering if any other posters track their consumption. Sometimes I feel kind of weak and I wonder if I'm flushing out too much sodium or potassium.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Track Your Daily Water Intake?

Not even close. A couple glasses of water a day, 1 coffee and 1 tea.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  I have for many years.  I do 100oz a day.  People underestimate the health benefits of staying well hydrated.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG   You could be overwatering your system if you try to drink that much water in addition to the other ways our bodies accept the liquids we need.   I had an emergency hospitalization recently.

The first morning when I tried to order breakfast, I asked for yogurt and coffee as well as other food.  I was allowed full portions of either, but only half portions of both if I wanted both. 

I had never thought of counting the yogurt I eat frequently as part of my liquid allotment.  When I discussed this with my primary, he agreed with their restriction and said my sodium and potassium numbers were low. and could well have been the reason I collapsed.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I have water bottle that has hourly marks. I drink about 10 to 12 cups per day. 

I don't sweat. It's a medical thing so I drink a lot of water to force out liquid waste. 

Dilution is the solution to pollution.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I track.  I'm under doctor's orders to drink at least two liters of water a day.

@AuntG ,  yes you can be flushing too much sodium and potassium causing the feeling of weakness.  Easily remedied.  My favorite is V-8 juice.  There are lots of foods that are high in potassium that you can incorporate into your daily diet.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

@AuntG  I don't keep track of my water intake and drink only when I'm thirsty. I get plenty of water through other sources (food, coffee) which count as far as I'm concerned. 

I do know that you can drink too much water. One time for my pre-employment physical, I had to retake my urine test because it was too light. 

Honored Contributor

For many years I have only been drinking water and seltzer.  I don't keep track any more of the amount but I know it is quite a bit most days.  If I am visiting someone or out and about I do not drink as much. Water is the only drink which quenches my thirst!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. I drink 8 oz of water 3 tmes a day with my supplements and drink iced tea, nothing more. 

I have no desire to spend all my spare time in the bathroom, or be out and need to look for a rest room. 

Honored Contributor

This from Mayo Clinic

How much water do you need?

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is:

• About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men
  • About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women

These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.

What about the advice to drink 8 glasses a day?

You've probably heard the advice to drink eight glasses of water a day. That's easy to remember, and it's a reasonable goal.

Most healthy people can stay hydrated by drinking water and other fluids whenever they feel thirsty. For some people, fewer than eight glasses a day might be enough. But other people might need more.

You might need to modify your total fluid intake based on several factors:

• Exercise. If you do any activity that makes you sweat, you need to drink extra water to cover the fluid loss. It's important to drink water before, during and after a workout.
  • Environment. Hot or humid weather can make you sweat and requires additional fluid. Dehydration also can occur at high altitudes.
  • Overall health. Your body loses fluids when you have a fever, vomiting or diarrhea. Drink more water or follow a doctor's recommendation to drink oral rehydration solutions. Other conditions that might require increased fluid intake include bladder infections and urinary tract stones.
  • Pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, you may need additional fluids to stay hydrated.