Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have suggestions?  Got out of bed to get a drink of water last night and could barely walk.  Was fine an hour earlier.  Took a Flurbiprofen.  Slightly better, but still can't walk very well. And boy those spasms grab!

Supposed to get groceries today, but will put that off and see what tomorrow brings. 

Going to continue w/the Flurbiprofen and maybe add a muscle relaxer, too.  So disgusting and yeah, painful, too.

Trusted Contributor

@Patriot3   Do you have a back brace?    I always find that helps.  Also ice and heat.    both of those work magic for me.  Hope you feel better soon.

Trusted Contributor

I have found relief with a heating pad under me when I lie in bed for about 20 minutes. Even if it's daytiime aadn I'm dressd, a lie-down with heat can help after a spasm to delay or prevent another one.  I don't let it stay warm on me for longer than that. Then I try to get up and walk around or at least don't apply heat again for at leastan hour.

If you have a shower head or shower wand with any kind of pulsing setting you can step into the shower and let very warm water pound your back for a minute or two. Or 3-5!

I have also booked a massage in the middle of one of those spasm attacks (not when the spasm was actually happening, but when I knew one could come at any time) and that was defintley helpful to relax the muscle and get more blood supply to it to heal.  If not a pro to work on you, find a friend or spouse who can gently stimulate that muscle area with repeated even-pressured touch. 

Heat and rest and massage have worked for me in any combinations.  I usually might be sore after a day but the spasms do stop in about 24 hours, in my experience.

Hope you are feeling much better soon. It can be very intense. Hang in there.

Esteemed Contributor

@nada54 wrote:

@Patriot3   Do you have a back brace?    I always find that helps.  Also ice and heat.    both of those work magic for me.  Hope you feel better soon.

@nada54  Thanks, me too Smiley Happy.  I do have a back brace and thought about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

I have found relief with a heating pad under me when I lie in bed for about 20 minutes. Even if it's daytiime aadn I'm dressd, a lie-down with heat can help after a spasm to delay or prevent another one.  I don't let it stay warm on me for longer than that. Then I try to get up and walk around or at least don't apply heat again for at leastan hour.

If you have a shower head or shower wand with any kind of pulsing setting you can step into the shower and let very warm water pound your back for a minute or two. Or 3-5!

I have also booked a massage in the middle of one of those spasm attacks (not when the spasm was actually happening, but when I knew one could come at any time) and that was defintley helpful to relax the muscle and get more blood supply to it to heal.  If not a pro to work on you, find a friend or spouse who can gently stimulate that muscle area with repeated even-pressured touch. 

Heat and rest and massage have worked for me in any combinations.  I usually might be sore after a day but the spasms do stop in about 24 hours, in my experience.

Hope you are feeling much better soon. It can be very intense. Hang in there.

@gizmogal  I did stand in the shower this morning with the hot water on my back.   Thanks!                           

Respected Contributor

I agree with all the above.  Also if you don't already,  start taking a OTC magnesium  before you go to bed. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Back Spasms

[ Edited ]

What's disgusting about it?  I think your right, take the flurbiprohen and your muscle relaxer and hope that the flare up is a short duration.  I have back pain myself so I can relate.  I might be jinxing  myself but I haven't had any serious back pain since Fall.  I take Neurontin.  

Valued Contributor

I'm assuming you have a nice firm and not too old good mattress? I would definatly try CBD salve. My Chiropractor's office sells a line of CBD called CBD spectrum and I have the body salve for my back and neck due to a bad accident years ago. It works and works fast! He also told me he uses this line for the purity and also because there is no THC in it and won't be an issue for any trace of anything you don't want on your skin. Plus unlike so many other things out there, this is not chemical or pharmaceutical which I always prefer. Hope you find some relief. 

Super Contributor

I have had bad very painful leg and feet spasms.... I have found heating pad...very warm shower or soaking..helpful..... now I have been eating a banana or at least a half of a banana a day...plus an OTC magnesium supplement ...every other day in the evening to be very helpful.....

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 , having had the same, my chiropractor recommended a tens unit.  He actually purchased a small portable one for me many years ago for my birthday.

When I go for a treatment, he hooks me up to his more powerful one before aligning my back and I have found it very helpful afterwards.  

I hope you are able to find relief.