Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Know - Shingles

[ Edited ]

Hi @Just Bling .. sorry to hear you got the shingles.   My Mom and my ex-husband had them so I know how painful they can be.  Hope you feel better soon.    That being said, it takes a while for any vaccine to work.  So getting the shingles the day after you received your second shot does not necessarily mean the vaccine is not effective.   In addition, the vaccine is not 100% effective.   But in the event you do get the shingles it won't be as severe as it would be if you hadn't gotten it.   

Honored Contributor

I'm sure that was in the info pack you get before you got that first shot. It is like every other vaccination, there's a chance that you get the virus but if you do, it will be mild  and of shorter duration.  As far as vaccines go, I think the shingles vaccine is only about 60 or 70% effective for older people.  But if they get it, it will be milder and of shorter duration. It's also possible that the person already contracted the virus before the vaccination but was asymptomatic.  However, the risk of that  is extremely low.  Nothing is 100% in medicine.  

Respected Contributor

The advantage to this all is

Aveeno Bath Treatment 100% natural

I was a Philosophy girl and all that frilly smell good stuff, stacked the bubbles and you got it..............

Now, it takes care of the itching (good thing) but I feel like I have all brand new skin.   This is my new life time product, I'm sticking with it.  I guess everything happens for a reason.

Honored Contributor

Herpes viruses, including shingles and cold sores, can proliferate in some people when they eat certain foods which contain large amounts of arginine. 

Nuts, seeds, brown rice and chocolate all have large amounts of arginine. If you eat those thing while having a breakout then they could get worse. Shingles virus thrives on arginine but it doesn't like lysine. So you can counteract the effects of arginine-rich foods by taking a lysine supp.

Esteemed Contributor

There has been a few articles that some people in Isarel that have certain Auto Immune diseases have reported getting Shingles afer the first dose of the Pfizer vaccaine.

They are recommending getting the Shingles vaccine before the Covid one for those people....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling wrote:

So everyone urged me, did you get your shingles shot yet?  No, I said but then I said I will.

Well, I did and then I got Part 2

Then I got shingles 3 days after the 2nd shot

Did you know this is more common that they let on.   Oh fun.

Aveeno Bath Treatment - Shingles or not where was this all my life, it makes your skin so soft - All 100% natural

Also, not a health food store nut of any kind but there is a salve made by

Country Comfot called Herbal Savvy Golden Seal - Myrrh

Wonderful stuff, stops the itch within 2-3 minutes

Great healing properties for other things too.  They have a website and expaned their line for baby products too.  Wish I knew about these people a year ago when I went to a baby shower, products like this far outweigh a Target/Walmart/Amazon retailer gift.

So.................in summary               IT HAPPENS

@Just Bling @Please report this to the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (vaers.hhs.gov). This way, it will be assessed and determined if Shingrex played a part in your shingles case and will help provide information to keep everyone safe. Press to report. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwivuNawwZXwAhU0HzQIHbh1B18Q...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

Thank you.

Do you know I looked up the website, read what they had to say and called 3 times yesterday.   You sit on hold and hold and hold, it was about an hour of my time split between the calls and I gave up.

There was also another number listed on the website and I called that one and was told with a recording that the number doesn't exist.

I see they have an e-mail address too, maybe I'll communicate with them that way.

Valued Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Mindy D 

Thank you.

Do you know I looked up the website, read what they had to say and called 3 times yesterday.   You sit on hold and hold and hold, it was about an hour of my time split between the calls and I gave up.

There was also another number listed on the website and I called that one and was told with a recording that the number doesn't exist.

I see they have an e-mail address too, maybe I'll communicate with them that way.

I did my vaccine adverse reaction report online, maybe you could do that instead of waiting on hold? I am going to look up the country comfort cream. My bad doctor at the time made me get the  first shingles shot while in the middle of a shingle outbreak that lasted for 5 months total! I got the first shot after about 2-3 months of shingles. The FDA says not to give the shots during a active shingles infection. No longer my doctor. I also used a cream called Terrasil, $30 at drugstores. Worked well but even the antiviral prescriptions did not get rid of my shingles. 

Respected Contributor

I had shingles in the 80s and pretty sure it was stress related. It took 2 doses of the meds before it finally worked. I am not big on shots of any kind so I don't get the shot and I don't get a flu shot. I never get the flu.

I will get my covid vac on Monday and am not looking forward to it. I hate side effects and I usually get them.

The only shot I get is a tetanus shot because I get bit a lot from dogs and cats but its a stinker to get.

Super Contributor

I had very bad Shingles for three months - then after my first shot I had another out break. Three months after my second shot I had another outbreak - neither outbreak was as bad as the first, but I had continuing pain for almost two years afterwards.

I keep Valtrex in my nightstand just in case and roll-on Lidocaine in drawers all over the house.