Trusted Contributor

© Woman's Day

You've Been Throwing Out the Healthiest Part of Avocados This Entire Time

You'll never see the fruit the same way again.

Besides being creamy and delicious, avocados are often hailed as a superfood for their healthy fats. Experts are now saying, though, that the most nutritious part of the fruit might just be in your trashcan. 

Whether you're preparing an avocado salad or guacamole, chances are you're prepping the fruit the same way. You slice it open, ditch the large seed, and then dive into the green goodness. While that routine never fails when it comes to delicious avocado recipes, the seed is actually a nutritional powerhouse, it turns out.

According to One Green Planet, "the seed holds 70 percent of the avocado's antioxidants, including the well-respected polyphenols associated with green tea.​" It's also packed with soluble fiber and healthy oils. Those oils then do wonders for your skin's collagen, reducing wrinkles. Who knew?!

Since the seed is rock solid (and biting into it is asking for a dental disaster), it's best to cut it up into quarters, and put the pieces in a food processor to grind it into a powder. From there, you can add the vitamin-filled powder to your next morning smoothie.

Half of the resulting powder is just enough for one serving. Given the bitterness of the seed, it's also best to blend it with very flavorful fruits and veggies.

Esteemed Contributor

@june22 wrote:

© Woman's Day

Since the seed is rock solid (and biting into it is asking for a dental disaster), it's best to cut it up into quarters, and put the pieces in a food processor to grind it into a powder. From there, you can add the vitamin-filled powder to your next morning smoothie.

Half of the resulting powder is just enough for one serving. Given the bitterness of the seed, it's also best to blend it with very flavorful fruits and veggies.

That's not gonna happen.

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@june22 wrote:

© Woman's Day

That's not gonna happen.

OMG ... that's funny.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Oh sure.........next they'll tell us to grind up the steak bones............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Oh sure.........next they'll tell us to grind up the steak bones............

NEVER!!! 

I think if the pits were edible, they would be in a consistency to chew. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

Funny - the last time I ate an avocado. I did the old "put the pit in a glass of water with toothpicks" thing.  It's now forming a tap root but no top growth has commenced.  I don't live where this plant could grow successfully in the ground, but I'm going to try to use it as a patio tree.

Don't think I'll be grinding up pits, but I'm sure, some gnawing creature out there would make good use of it should it go in the compost pile.  Interesting information.  I think it's the seed's way of promoting progenitors.  Not everythng is for human consumption at every phase of growth.  Well, I guess if you were hungry enough.  Ever eat a pine tree?  Some parts are edible.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

I have never seen ground up avocado pits in the store.  If this is really something good for us some company would have jumped on the band wagon and packaged it by now.  Has anyone seen/purchased ground up avocado pits?