Esteemed Contributor

Everyone, this is a friendly reminder at the start of flu season: please wash your hands!

Soap, water and friction remove most bacteria, viruses, fungi and dirt.  Hand sanitizer removes some bacteria and is not a replacement for handwashing.

Also, if you cough or sneeze, don't cover your mouth!  Huh? Instead use the crook in your elbow to shield those around you.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Re: Friendly Reminder

[ Edited ]

Flu season or not I'm constantly washing my hands. That's the 1st thing I do when I come in the front door after running errands. When I'm out shopping if I hear anyone sneeze or cough I turn & go the other direction. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Flu season or not I'm constantly washing my hands. That's the 1st thing I do when I come in the front door after running errands. When I'm out shopping if I hear anyone sneeze or cough I turn & go the other direction. LOL!!!

I'm the same way, don't need to change anything I do for winter months.  And, by the way, I think "hand sanitizer" is overdone - a marketing success.  Plain old soap works just fine.

Respected Contributor

If you want to reduce your chances of getting the flu, get a flu shot.  We should all be washing our hands with warm, soapy water after we use the bathroom and several times a day all the time anyway.  Not just during flu season.  There's nastier stuff out there that can make you sicker than the flu. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I'm the same way, don't need to change anything I do for winter months.  And, by the way, I think "hand sanitizer" is overdone - a marketing success.  Plain old soap works just fine.

Same as both of you, I am a frequent hand washer. 

Hand sanitizer is over done.  And people think they can use it in place of soap and water and that's not what it's for.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

If you want to reduce your chances of getting the flu, get a flu shot.  We should all be washing our hands with warm, soapy water after we use the bathroom and several times a day all the time anyway.  Not just during flu season.  There's nastier stuff out there that can make you sicker than the flu. 

Crystaltree, thanks for the reminder about the flu shot!!!!!!

Personally, I don't get them, so I always forget to remind people.

Honored Contributor

While I certainly have no disagreement with washing hands - often and throughly - if you want to avoid getting the flu , get a flu shot. Also to avoid getting germs off your hands into your respiratory system - keep your hands away from your face.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

OMG I thought I was the only one.  LOL

Those hoof beats you hear are Nightowlz and I running away.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Friendly Reminder

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Yep; especially if your immune systems isn't the greatest.

I get it yearly, and got this season's last week.

If you're prone to bronchitis, pneumonia, and other cough/chest afflictions, also get the "Pneumovax" shot and/or the "Prevnar13" vaccine.

They help boost your immune system when it comes to your bronchial passages.

Your doc should already have them in-office.

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Same as both of you, I am a frequent hand washer. 

Hand sanitizer is over done.  And people think they can use it in place of soap and water and that's not what it's for.

@HonnyBrown thanks so much for your excellent and timely suggestions!! Smiley Happy

I agree with you HB. From everything I've read, plain old soap works just fine. 

Also, from what I've read, unnecessary overuse of hand sanitizers helps in the creation of new superbugs which, in the long run, we may not have antibiotics for. We may all get by unscathed, but later generations will pay the price for our overuse. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy