Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dental Crowns and Cleaning Question

[ Edited ]

@puttypiesmom  Or any other health issues? That was in my sentence, too. Many people take antibiotics safely. It's not going to hurt you. Remember, he is a Doctor first; then a Dentist as a specialty. He does sound extremely competent. 

I forgot to answer the question about the gums. Nope. Won't hurt your gums at all. The only issue with your gums will be when giving you the shot of novocane. I'm allergic to novocane and have had crowns and a bridge done without anything. Today's dentists are gentle. You'll be fine. Relax and let him do his job.  

ETA: My mom always had to have antibiotics. She was never resistant to them. Never heard of that from the small dosages given for dental work. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom- If you don't feel comfortable with him, that's your answer.

A good dentist should be willing to take the time to explain every single thing you ask about before any work is done, to reassure you.  You say he did a good job on a partial for you, but that doesn't mean you have to stay with him.

But I still say - no health issues?  Don't take antibiotics that are unnecessary!  That's what's led to the proliferation of superbugs.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

1.  Yes, antibiotics are the standard of care for dental procedures for those with heart murmurs, and other medical conditions.  Your dentist has a list the ADA provides.  Procedures include cleanings as well.  

The deep cleaning is called root planing (sp) this is suggested when you accumulate a lot of plaque under the gum.  Ignoring this procedure will result in tooth loss.  If you keep up with your oral hygiene and two annual cleanings, you most likely won’t have to have this.  

You will be numb for this procedure.  

You can still have pain pain after having a crown placed.  Should you end up requiring a root canal, your dentist should be able to go right through it and then patch it.  Not everything shows up on a film.  If a crown fits properly, you should not feel any different than your own natural tooth.

You don’t seem to have any confidence in your dentist or st least don’t have,open communication.  Find someone who you trust to help with dental decisions.  It’s an important partnership.

My late husband was a dentist and he spent a lot of time with his patients just explaining why he suggested treatment.  You should not leave the office with questions.  His job is to guide you through comfortably and confidently.  

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@puttypiesmom  Or any other health issues? That was in my sentence, too. Many people take antibiotics safely. It's not going to hurt you. Remember, he is a Doctor first; then a Dentist as a specialty. He does sound extremely competent. 

I forgot to answer the question about the gums. Nope. Won't hurt your gums at all. The only issue with your gums will be when giving you the shot of novocane. I'm allergic to novocane and have had crowns and a bridge done without anything. Today's dentists are gentle. You'll be fine. Relax and let him do his job.  

ETA: My mom always had to have antibiotics. She was never resistant to them. Never heard of that from the small dosages given for dental work. 

@BirkiLadythanks.  I've been so terrified and your words really help.  

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLadyforgot...no, no other health issues.  

Trusted Contributor

@StephaniM wrote:

1.  Yes, antibiotics are the standard of care for dental procedures for those with heart murmurs, and other medical conditions.  Your dentist has a list the ADA provides.  Procedures include cleanings as well.  

The deep cleaning is called root planing (sp) this is suggested when you accumulate a lot of plaque under the gum.  Ignoring this procedure will result in tooth loss.  If you keep up with your oral hygiene and two annual cleanings, you most likely won’t have to have this.  

You will be numb for this procedure.  

You can still have pain pain after having a crown placed.  Should you end up requiring a root canal, your dentist should be able to go right through it and then patch it.  Not everything shows up on a film.

You don’t seem to have any confidence in your dentist or st least don’t have,open communication.  Find someone who you trust to help with dental decisions.  It’s an important partnership.

@StephaniMthank you.  You answered many questions for me.  So grateful.  

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom  Fear will make it hurt. You need to learn to relax. If you tense up in the dental chair, you'll feel a lot of needless pain. Remember to think about that while in the dental chair and make yourself relax. It works!

In the next few weeks, teach yourself how to shake off tension and stress. Shake your arms and shoulders. Feel yourself relax. Keep working at it. By the time you have the work done, you'll be able to do it within your mind. (You won't be able to shake your arms in the dental chair! It will be "mind over matter"!!) Trust me, you'll be fine. 

Mom taught me how to release that tension as a young girl going to the DDS myself. I took the bus and was anxious. She was at work and couldn't give me a hug. It always worked. She was such a wonderful mentor. I've taught my son and three nieces this "shake it off technique" for dental work, too. Also good for anything that stresses you out!!

Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35thank you too for your invaluable information as I go back and re-read everything.  I'm so grateful to you too.  

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@BirkiLadyforgot...no, no other health issues.  

Would guess he's being safe since you don't have six month cleanings. I'm really surprised about that. Would suggest you begin scheduling them ASAP.

It may be why you are having problems now. Your former DDS should have caught these problems before they became so severe and expensive. 

Stick with this DDS. He's excellent. 

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@puttypiesmom  Fear will make it hurt. You need to learn to relax. If you tense up in the dental chair, you'll feel a lot of needless pain. Remember to think about that while in the dental chair and make yourself relax. It works!

In the next few weeks, teach yourself how to shake off tension and stress. Shake your arms and shoulders. Feel yourself relax. Keep working at it. By the time you have the work done, you'll be able to do it within your mind. (You won't be able to shake your arms in the dental chair! It will be "mind over matter"!!) Trust me, you'll be fine. 

Mom taught me how to release that tension as a young girl going to the DDS myself. I took the bus and was anxious. She was at work and couldn't give me a hug. It always worked. She was such a wonderful mentor. I've taught my son and three nieces this "shake it off technique" for dental work, too. Also good for anything that stresses you out!!

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLadyI'll try.  Thanks.  I've always been nervous in the dentist's chair, jumpy, anxious and not a very good patient.  Think eyes darting around with so many questions I'm afraid to ask for feeling stupid or that I will offend the doctor.